re: free anti virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by rmbler, Mar 27, 2004.

1. rmbler

rmbler Private First Class

hi all i know that this subject has been all over the board so i wont waste you time asking why i cant get updates from avg. my question is in your opinion what is the next best free antivirus program you would recommend.
    thanks in advance
    Phil

2. omigosh

omigosh Private E-2

Kaspersky Labs Anti-Virus 4.5 is NOT the next best, IT IS FAR SUPERIOR! You can get a free trial at this address:http://www.kaspersky.com/download.html. It also updates daily, unlike some!
    Cheers, Omigosh.

3. rmbler

thanks for the quick reply omigosh i was hoping that i could fine one that isnt a trial version. i gusee if i cant fine one 30 days is better than an outdated anti virus so thank you again

phil

4. rmbler

thanks guys for the feed back just needed to get you opinion on avast will install it thank you again
    phil

5. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

i dont believe that this option is widely appreciated on these boards but if your looking for free top-notch virus software. Get a copy of a norton antivirus disk that gets distributed with most new computers. You might already have one or definately a friend will. With these you usually get 3 months free and the great thing is that there are many cracks out there for norton that will allow you to get updates til 2029. Just search GOOGLE. So its good for everyone.

Please dont get pissed off admins cause if you think about it, im helping everyone.
    The guy cause he wont get infected.
    His friends, cause viruses wont get e-mailed on.
    The world, helping to stop the spread of viruses.

6. omigosh

omigosh Private E-2

It's good for everyone except Symantec's shareholders, and if they lose too much money maybe they'll stop investing in updates, so the software becomes less effective, and eventually fails to block the then current crop of viruses, so the guy starts to infect his friends etc., etc.
    What's wrong with paying a fair price for a decent product?

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

1st of all Norton sucks. It's bloatware and it just plain doesn't do the job satisfactorily. Not to mention screwing up a lot of machines it's installed on. JMHO.

2nd of all illegal cracks are just that - illegal. You're helping no one by advising illegal practices. This forum doesn't advocate breaking the law. I personally wouldn't have a whole lot of trust in email that came from anyone who I knew was using an illegal crack.

If you can't afford, or don't want to pay for protection, the free AVs such as Avast and AVG do a fine job.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Mad, not really, just constantly amazed at people who toss their opinions in who really should not. If you care to help people, listen and learn from the great folks here a while, hopefully someday you can actually be of help :) Posts like "go to google and get a crack" only annoy me with not only your childlike behavior, but your total lack of knowledge of good anti virus programs out there. Thats sounds like good advice on an AOL chat room, but not here. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with how we handle ourselves here, whats accepted and not.

Couple points regarding the thread also:

1: First and foremost he asked for a free alternative.
    2: As you pointed out, most "free" versions that come with a pc are trials, usually 90 days, not free.
    3: There are better, free choices like Avast, Antivir, etc.
    4: We dont support cracking, though in the case of Nortons, knock yourself out, you'll get what you deserve there. We do not condone that here, which means allowing people to make the suggestion. Imagine, your telling him rather then use a free, superior anti virus, he should get Nortons and crack it.

9. wk990

wk990 Private E-2

Don't know if your interested but I have gotten the free panda anti virus progarm about 3 weeks ago ( which is located on the front page of Majorgeeks) although it's a beta program I've had no problems with it -oops yes I did when I first downloaded and installed it there was a large 3"x3" box sitting in rhe corner of my desktopand couldn't get rid of it , I emailed Panda tech support and the next day got a answer saying they knew of the problem and in one week a new version will be out . and without a doubt less than a week went by and i got a e mail from Panda tech support advising me of a new version ready for download. Once I downloaded and installed it all has been great, a short pop up for a second informing me Im protected. so I my opinion Panda is a good product and (IT'S FREE )

10. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

rmbler i asked the same question you did just last week.
    I took Avast and I fell in love with it :)
    There are no probs with the updates like AVG was giving me.
    It updates fast and easy.
    And best of all is completely free :D

11. rmbler

thank you for all the great advice well except for the norton one i would never do anything like crack or steal form anyone not even big corps. or even put norton back on my machines the great people here had to help me rid myself of norton a few weeks ago i took the earler advise of using avast and was able to get an update for it right away. thank you everyone again for all the help dang i gotta say im really glad you guys are here.
    ps. its not that i wouldnt buy an anti virus its that i really cant afford SO I SAY AGAIN THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH I AM TRULLY GREATFULL FOR ALL THE "GOOD" ADVISE
    Phil

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Your fine bro! Im glad it worked out. I have bought Anti virus in the past, I am against repurchasing it yearly. Now, if there was a killer anti-virus program that was 20 bucks with a 5-10 dollar update charge yearly, I could get onboard. But I am not paying 40-50 and more a year for bloated software that wants to do spyware, antivirus, email spam and more garbage added in as you go. I just want a decent, affordable antivirus package, since the all in one packages never do everything you want well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds