Problem with Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Software' started by rmruk, Dec 14, 2006.

1. rmruk

rmruk Private E-2

I am having a problem with Acronis True Image 8.80. Every time that I use it, I get the error message that my RPC console is not running. I have checked under my admin tools, and it IS running. The only fix is to uninstall Acronis True Image, reboot, completely re-install, reboot; then it works fine... ONE TIME. The next time I try to run it, I get the same thing.

Acronis is a good backup program, but their tech support is useless. Any ideas please???

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

I have Acronis 8 (build 937) and was not aware that Acronis had an 8.80.

If you are using Acronis 8 with a build number in the 800's, you may want to visit the Acronis Website and update to build 937

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Latest version is v10. Bazza

===

4. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

True, 10 is the latest version, but for 8 the latest build is 937. 8 works just fine for me. I feel no need to shell out more bucks for 10. Tried 9, too many bugs. I'm sure the bugs have been corrected in 10. I don't consider myself cheap, just more on the prudent side.

Heck I still drive around a 1974 Dodge Van, V8 360, with 545,000 miles on it!

Trying to beat Al Bundy's record. :)

5. bigbazza

I bought v9 on Friday the 13th of October (never forget it) and got a free upgrade to v10.

Not real impressed with either version.:p

Just one thing, for example, it takes nearly 3 times as long to validate a backup as it does to do the actual full backup. :p :p :p

I'm only backing up 6 gigs of info.

Gawd help those backing up 100gigs, or more, and wishing to do a validation.
    It took around 26 minutes to do a full backup and 70 minutes to validate it.

I can't see the point of doing a backup without doing a validation as the backup has to be 100% OK, or there is not much point to doing a backup, IMHO.

Check out links
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105152
    and
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106695

for anyone considering buying Acronis True Image, before you part out $$$$.

Bazza

6. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Wow!:eek: With Acronis 8 I backup around 13GB in about 30 minutes and validate the backup in about 12 minutes. I was advised by a knowledgeable individual a while back that if I could obtain Acronis 8, go for it. Now I see why this person advised me as such.

Can't backup directly to DVD without third party software with Acronis 8, but I really don't need that feature. I backup to an external HDD, and from there backup also to DVD using another program.

From what bigbazza posted, I'm definitely going to stay with 8.

7. bigbazza

I'd really like to know if anyone else is using v10 and validating their FULL backup.
    I can't believe that Acronis would be so stupid as to release a validation option that takes 3 times as long as it does to do a backup.

This happens each time I do a FULL backup.

Am I using Acronis v10 correctly? HEELLLPPPPPPPPPPP. @Halo@

Bazza

===

8. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. My original post about the time it takes Acronis 8 to do a full backup and to validate that backup was incorrect.

Today was my day to do a full weekly backup, so I kept track of how long it actually took.

To do a full backup of 13.5GB took 22 minutes. To validate the backup took 7 minutes. In my previous post I stated the times as 30 minutes and 12 minutes respectively.

I then assigned a temporary drive letter to the backup in order to access it just to be sure everything went as was suppose to. Acronis 8 did a fine job.

I"m not trying to be facetious, bigbazza, I too don't understand why a newer version would take a lot longer than an older version. One would think just the opposite. :confused:

9. bigbazza

Neither do I understand it?
    That is why I am really p*ssed off with v10.0 :p
    I am backing up directly to a DVD. Could that be the source of my troubles?:confused:

Although, still, why would it still take 3 times as long to read the backup for validation than it takes to write to the same DVD? Help me, anyone !!!!!!!!!!!

Bazza

===

10. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Wouldn't the time taken to finish depend on your system specifications??

11. bigbazza

Yes, but you miss the point.

Why should validation (reading files) takes around 3 times longer than writing files?

My laptop has 2 gigs of ram, plenty of hard drive space free and is a duo core machine that is only 9 months old, running XP Pro with SP2 and updates. Bazza

===

12. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

I don't think the time involved depends on system specs. I have an HP, Intel Celeron 2.0GHz, 768 MB RAM, and it's almost 5 years old.

bigbazza definitely has a more powerful system than mine, so if specifications were a big factor, bigbazza should be able to do donuts around my Acronis 8 times.

From what I've researched, backing up directly to dvd may be a factor.

bigbazza, have you tried contacting Acronis directly on this matter?

Hopefully contacting Acronis isn't anything like contacting HP. I'd rather communicate with Hank Kimble on "Green Acres" than the HP folks!

13. bigbazza

No I haven't tried contacting Acronis just yet (but I will).
    Listening to the Aussies thrash the Poms in the Test cricket, all day, each day, at the present. :D :cool:

The reason I bought the subject up here is that MG members have recommended Acronis True Image nearly every time backup software is mentioned.

I still am trying to get to the reason why validation ( reading) takes 3 times longer than writing, on my laptop.:confused:

I've got an external hard drive that I have to get working and try that out for comparison. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds