how do I install vista pro over vista home?

Discussion in 'Software' started by muz, Jun 25, 2008.

1. muz

muz Private E-2

I have preinstalled vista home on a dell mps 1530 and want to install vista pro. Do I unistall the home first, through safe mode and then install pro or can I just try to install profesional over home? Is there anyway to install some of the features from home once I have pro? Will I need to purchase a cd dvd writer?

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

By Vista Pro, I guess you mean Vista Ultimate?

If so then best way is to boot to the Vista Ultimate DVD ( change boot order to 1st boot device as CDROM in Bios ) then format and then install Vista Ultimate, all formatting and the install is done via the booted installer.

Ultimate has all the features of Vista as its the most feature rich Version, so what features are you after, this is list of features http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Curious to what additions Vista Ultimate give you over Home you need or want as Home Premium is fine and does most things, the additions of Ultimate many will never use as they are geared to networking etc, but if your going from Home Basic to Ultimate then I see the addition of Media Center being one option to migrate to this version, but Home Premium gives you Media Center too.

Yes and No while a DVD writer is great to have, so long as you have a DVD rom drive to run the Vista DVD off then your OK.

3. muz

muz Private E-2

thank you, as you can tell I'm not excatly sure what I'm getting with Vista Business, but I've read it's closer to the XP professional and I know that the home version of XP was not adequate for many essentials.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Vista Home is not a valid upgrade path for Vista Business.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You're oversimplifying here. Vista has two "Home" versions, Basic, and Home Premium. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx for comparative info. Premium has many more features than Basic.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Personally Home Premium or Ultimate is closer to XP Pro

Which Home version do you have? Home Basic or Home Premium, if Home Premium, then for the home user Business is a kinda small step backwards as it doesnt include many of the features many users would use in the home enviroment as in....

Windows Media Center
    Ability to create dvd slidshows or burn data to DVD from the OS opposed to installing a 3rd party application.
    Create HD movies with Windows Movie Maker
    Built in Games ( mahjong is addictive )

But Business adds these that Home Premium doesnt have...

PC backup/imaging ( so complete HD backup )
    Fax & Scan ( do faxes still extist! )
    Easier remote access ( however if you dont use remote access and this could be a security issue if enabled )

So if you have Home Premium, stick with it, but if Home Basic then yes Business does add more options, but not ones geared to a home user if thats what you primarily use your PC for.

But as I mentioned in my fiest reply, your best bet is to clean install your new version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds