Drag and drop to new HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bystander, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Bystander

Bystander Private E-2

My PC has a 1TB SATA II hard drive that is showing signs of going out. It has two partitions, one is “C” (Operating system) and ”E” (Data). Is it possible that I could install a similar new hard drive and transfer the data directly from the old to the new? I am probably just under intermediate knowledge and experience. ( I know just enough to get into trouble).
    I have O&O DiskImage 6 and have good backups, however it appears that it would be easier to just “Drag and Drop”. I am aware that there would probably be some file path problems. Has anyone done this?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Bystander...

Should be no problem as long as you're copying data and not installed programs...

One procedure would be to install the new HD, partition it so there is a 'C' partition for Windows and at least one 'data' partition, and install Windows. Then mount the old drive as a slave and copy the data from 'D' to 'D'...

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Sounds like you are really asking about CLONING the old disk to the new one. Search for how to CLONE and you should get the info you need. Most Hard Drive Setup CDs had Cloning built in. They refered to it as Copying Partitions. Maxblast from Maxtor for example. Cloneing makes an exact "copy" of everything on the drive including hidden system files.

Good Luck, Jim

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. jaydeee

jaydeee Private E-2

very possible specially if it for back up purposes only. another suggestion of doing it is by backing up your drives and extracting it on your backup drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds