Problems with Security Udates.

Discussion in 'Software' started by harry, Mar 12, 2004.

1. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

Hi,
    My probs started yesterday when I attempted to dowload the latest Windows Drivers updates. Files downloaded OK, but when the machine was supposed to restart, it closed down, and refused to open in any form (Safe Mode,
    Last Known Good , or any other way) In desperation I then used my Windows XP disk to open another operating system on different partition. Eventually, (and please remember this is a non- geek talking!)I managed this and then somehow got an operating system back on to "C".
    The trouble is now every time I start my computer , it goes to a screen showing two Windows XP operating systems, and I have to choose between them. How do I get rid of the redundant system? I have already formatted that drive, but the system stays!

Aso, having got an operating system back, I downloaded the security updates, (18 of them)again,
    and when I tried to reboot the machine closed and refused to open again, as per the original fault! So back to the disc and here I am baffled!!

If anyone has an answer please , my brain is nearly at its sell by date, so one syllable words please.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Harry.

System:- XPPro SP1, Gigabyte GA 7VT600l, 512 RAM, AMD Athlon XP2600.

PS Ilove cats and have looked! (Honest)

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

OK Harry what i would suggest if your working it with XP on C and D is leave booth installed effectively a dual boot system.
    Now I'm assuming you want to keep C and Dump D so boot into D go to Windows Update and download your updates one at a time rebooting between each one until you find the culprit(obviously making a note of each one so you know the problem :) )
    Also i saw you mentioned Driver updates please get your hardware updates from the manufacturers website as getting them from Windows can cause more trouble than they are worth.
    Once you have locked down the problem update you can boot into your C drive get all your updates bar the problem one(you may want to post in here which one it is we may be able to help with it)
    Then you can delete and format your D drive, and to remove it from the start-up Right click My Computer-Properties-Advanced-System start-up and recovery setting you can then edit the start up options and delete the one you no longer need :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds