Two wireless routers, one internal network.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deuce47, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

Hello everyone...

I'm not that advanced in networking, so I could use a little help on this one.

At our office I'm trying to set up two wireless connections using two different wireless routers (both D-Link WBR-2310) on one internal network/LAN. RIGHT NOW, I've got the one I set up for the doctor (we'll call it Router A), that is secured, and it's basically acting as an access point to his wired LAN. He uses his laptop to connect to the LAN this way. It is hardwired to the 16-port switch, as well as the DSL modem/router which is doing the DHCP. So Router A and the DSL modem are both hardwired to the 16-port switch. The IP address scheme for the LAN is 10.0.0.x. So Router A, acting as an access point, is passing this scheme of IP addresses on to any laptops connected wirelessly.

The doctor wants another wireless router set up for his patients in the lobby (we'll call it Router B). It's going to be unsecure, and even though it is also hardwired to the internal network, he wants it seperate from the LAN in terms of not being able to access internal data/folders, but still able to connect to the Internet. I tried setting it up to where it was running DHCP and giving out addresses in 10.0.1.1 (different subnet), but using the subnet mask 255.255.0.0. No luck. I can't get connected to the Internet.

The WAN IP address for the DSL modem is static btw. Any help would be great.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

On the unsecured network, are you getting an ip? In the config /all what is the gateway? Getting a DNS server ip? Can you ping the gateway?

3. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

-Well, I assigned it 10.0.1.1, with it giving out IP addresses of 10.0.1.x.

-The internal LAN is on 10.0.0.x.

-No, I didn't check "ipconfig /all" to see what it's gateway was.

-I assigned it the same DNS that the DSL modem/router was using.

Basically, I want both routers to use the DSL modem as a gateway to the Internet, but I want a wall between both routers. All database information/shared folders are used on the 10.0.0.x network/LAN.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I got that from the first post. Still it might be helpful if you'd post the info from the IP config/all.
    Why the subnet of 255.255.0.0?
    Technically your networks are on Router "A" 10.0.0.X
    and a Router "B" network of 10.0.x.x ? Do you need 65,000 hosts?
    Making "B" 10.0.1.1 w/ 255.255.255.0 is a little more normal. The first 3 octets of the netmask define the network so 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 with a 255.255.255.0 are 2 different networks each capable of 254 hosts.

Using 2 routers creates the wall you want.
    So just set the one router up like the other but leave off security. Router define networks.. put it basically.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

Ahh...thanks a mil. That really helps. That and switching from D-Link to Linksys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds