Temporary Internet Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by BLAJY, Nov 6, 2004.

1. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Hello,"Is there anybody in there?"

>I tried to delete my Temporary Internet Files,like I successfully did for the other users of this computer.

>I get the following warning box:
    Temporary Internet Files is a Windows System Folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted.

>Which is fine and dandy, but why is it, that I was able to delete it's contents on the other users names?

>Also before trying to open the File, I did an anti-virus scan which shows 769 files in this folder, but when I try to open the folder the screen comes up blank showing no files at all??? :confused:

>So where are my Temporary Internet Files stored? :confused:

>Is it unusual for the Temporary Internet Files to be used by or as a Windows System folder? :confused:
    THANKS!
    QUOTE:Confusion is a state of mind, don't go there. :confused: ;) :)

2. AE4TR

AE4TR Private E-2

:) It sounds as though you are trying to delete the folder itself, which you can't do. Search for files and folders, enter-- *.tmp and select all then press your delete key. then search for *.temp select all then press your delete key. This should do away with all temporary files on your computer.
    Hope this helps ... Ben (these two are different folders tmp and temp)
    :)

3. animatorStrike

animatorStrike <a href="http://www.acrodata.com/fun/waaa.jpg">Rid

When you're browsing, go to Tools > Internet Options. Click the General tab and click Delete Files. That's if you're browsing with IE.

4. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Ben,
    >Tried your suggestions,with no luck.

>When I typed in *.tmp I received the following message when I tried to delete the files.***Cannot delete file:Cannot read from the source file or disk. ***

>When I did a search of *.temp it comes up empty.

Note***What I originally did was went to START>RUN>C:\Documents and Settings>User Name>LOCAL SETTINGS>Temporary Internet Files. Open.
    Which would come up with a blank screen.

>I did delete the whole file for the other users,and a new file is automatically restored,once the user logs on. I have Windows XP and use IE

Animal Strike, thanks for your suggestion, which I usually do, but I have gone directly to the file itself in the past because usually more files are in there.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just download, install and run these 3

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

then you don't have to worry about the crap that you get with every net session.

All 3 are free, don't conflict with each other, and each finds stuff the other 2 miss. Run all 3 after every session. They remove index.dat (after reboot), all cookies, all temporary internet files and all the other crap. Bazza

===

6. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Thanks Bazza,will do.

7. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hey, Bazz!

Nice post! That should fix the problem completely.

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

The temporary files are best seen by going to Start then search files and folders and typing in the box C:\DOCUME~1\NICK\LOCALS~1\Temp
    OBVIOUSLY! instead of putting nick in the box you would just put whatever your name is that you have called your computer

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  9. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

>Ran two of the three applications, removed plenty, but the problem still exists. I downloaded the Emp Temp, but was too intimidated to use it. I'm not that computer savy, so I know I would find a way to screw things up.

>Nick tried your suggestion without success.

>Really strange indeed.

>I did run all spyware applications today. Stinger found a trojan and removed it. I also ran Trend Micro and Symantec both came up clean.

****Do you think this could possibly be a registry problem?***

10. bigbazza

EmpTemp is not difficult to use, but certainly not as easy as CC or Cleanup!. It has to be done manually.
    (1) It starts up showing the Temp Folders tab. If any programs are listed, just click on the lightning bolt and they will be removed.
    (2) Next click on Cookies, History, URL tab and then on "show all" tab ( far left icon on second row). Click on lightning bolt to remove all.
    (3) Next click on "Find tmp files" tab. Click on appropriate Hard drive designation. I usually only click on C: as my others are for backup purposes. It will then check for all temp (tmp) files. It may take a while. If it lists any files, click on lightning bolt, Far left one. This will remove all tmp files (except 2 that cannot be removed).
    (4) Then click on "Clipboard and Shortcuts" tab and then click on that is the far left one, in the centre group of 4. This will list all clipboards and shortcuts and then check to see of they are all valid and unbroken. If it finds any broken ones, click on the lightning bolt and they will be gone.
    (5) Then close down program, click on X, top right of screen.

This takes almost as much time to write about as it does to do. But it is another arrow to your bow, in keeping your PC ticking over. Baz
    ===

11. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Bazza, Problem solved! :) Dank ya very much. :) It ran as easily and smoothly as you said it would.

>Now for Problem #2 LOL---Didn't think you would get away that easily did ya? ;) Actually it may not even be a problem,thought I would run it by ya just the same.

>When I run Reg Cleaner- in the Software Category-under the heading Author-Btien is listed. Btien is also listed as the Software and old.

>When I select delete in the Software Catergory it reappears in the Backup Category. I then delete from this category and it reappears back in Software Category.

>The only reason I am slightly concered about this, is over the weekend I ran my virus scans and if my memory serves me correctly, I thought I remember seeing Btien listed as a virus on one of the scans.

>Any idea on what Btien is? Why Reg Cleaner can't remove it?

>Any advice on knowing what shell extensions to delete? Should I just leave these alone if I don't have anything to cross reference them with?

As always, much thanks.

12. bigbazza

RegCleaner won't remove stuff, at least, the freeware version. You gotta buy the shareware version for that capability. I edit my Registry manually to remove anything that RegCleaner finds. I won't explain how, here, as it is dangerous to fiddle with the Registry. Get some guru to look over your shoulder while they teach you how to edit the Registry. There are other programs that will find Registry errors and correct them. Probably available via MG, as well. Someone else please butt in with recommendations.

Just googled "BTIEN".

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=btien&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

Second link also talks about finding BTIEN and not being able to remove it. Check it out. Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds