KVM Switching

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McStabberson, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McStabberson

McStabberson Private E-2

I recently bought an IOGear KVM switch (Model GCS632U). It did not support two wireless devices paired onto one reciever (which wasn't a shock) and also did not seem to work with a wired USB keyboard or a wired USB mouse which worked on the computer just fine. I could tap the switching hot keys on the keyboard and the switch would toggle between the ports, but the signals from both mouse and keyboard didn't seem to want to go through the switch itself. Coulda been the brand of devices I figure... coulda been the switch, meh.

Anyone out there by chance have this model and get it to work just fine for you?

Or, a better question... anyone out there know of a really good two port KVM Switch that seems to work with a lot of different brands of devices? Ideally I'd like it to be supported by XP and have some Linux support going with it. If it didn't require you to install 'client' software to use it, that'd be best for cross OS platforms obviously.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

At work we use Avocent 2-port and 4-port switches. We get the PS/2 only switches, although it looks like they offer USB as well. They're not cheap, but they work very well. The switch itself gets power from the PS/2 cables so there's no power supply at all (although you can get one). There is no client, no drivers, nothing. You just plug everything in the way you'd plug in a normal keyboard or mouse and you're good to go. Press the button on the box to switch, and there's two LEDs on the box for each display. A green one lights when there is something powered on connected to it, and a yellow one lights when it is the active display. Press the grey button on the front of the KVM to go to the next active display (displays that are inactive get skipped). I've used it with Win2k, WinXP, and an endless assortment of Linux flavors (Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Knoppix Live, Trustix, White Box). Never given me any problems.

I've used it on some very old hardware, too. I've not tried it with any AT-to-PS/2 or serial-to-PS/2 converters, however. One thing that did not work was a USB-to-PS/2 keyboard and mouse widget for use on a PC that had no PS/2 ports. It would work... sometimes.

The cables they sell are great, too, since they combine the KVM into a single bigger cable. Note that the keyboard and mouse cables are different lengths. You put the short end next to the KVM, and the long one on the PC. I have not found a PC that had a problem reaching it.

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/avocent-cybex-switchview.html
    http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DesktopKVMSwitches

I've also used a Belkin model, which was nice because you could double-tap Scroll Lock and then use the arrow keys to switch displays, but that one did not work very well with Linux for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds