Cannot Open Windows Explorer In (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Software' started by tboy34, Nov 20, 2009.

1. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

I get an error message when trying to open windows explorer in Windows 7. It says there isn't a program associated with it. And that I should install a program to open it? Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
  2. cake

cake Corporal

they don't support HijackThis at MajorGeek's however you might want to post exactly what the error message says so one of the forum experts (that's NOT me, btw) can look at your info & help you further.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

so are you saying that when you click on the My computer icon, it won't open? or does your desktop appear normal when you boot your computer? Could you be more specific?

4. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

What I'm talking about is the link windows explorer, when you click on the start menu, then go to accessories, then windows explorer. Here is the error message I receive.

""This File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, creat an association on the DEFAULT programs control panel.""

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

right-click the icon, and choose properties. Click the shortcut tab. What do the target, type, location boxes say? for instance, mine says

Target Type: Application
    Target Location: %windir% (this line is unchangeable)
    Target: %windir%\explorer.exe (i can edit this line)

6. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

OK Mine says in the target section: %windir%\explorer.exe

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also as well as trying what thesmokingun mentions, do also let us know what this a clean install of Win7 or an upgrade adn if an upgrade what Windows version did you upgrade from? if XP then thats not a supported upgrade path, while it "may" work its prone to issues at times and this could be one of them.

Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 at boot) and see if the same happens with explorer? if it doesnt than you have a 3rd party application causing this.

Ypu could also run SFC and check the integrity of system files by opening an elevated command prompt (click Start and in the Start Search box type cmd and then when it shows in the search list right click it and choose Run as Administrator) and then type sfc /scannow and you may need the Windows 7 DVD.

8. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

This is an upgrade from Vista Premium. I will try to boot in safe mode.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not come across this issue as yet in Win7 but as usual there will always be hiccups, so did some research on this and was linked by a friend to this solution http://uneit.com/2009/10/20/fix-windows-7-library-cannot-open-or-explorer-no-association/

If you haev issues creating the reg files to use let me know and I will create them and attach, but DO backup your registry before using and this application ERUNT is good however you will need to turn UAC off to use it (then turn it back on after use)

To turn UAC off in Windows 7 click Start and type UAC into the Start Search box then click "change user account control settings" then drop the slider to the bottom and click OK

10. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

I am having trouble creating the file, as I'm doing it in notpad and it won't let me create the extension. Also how do you back up you're registry??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds