Stolen Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was wondering.... is there a way to look up to see if a particular Dell laptop (or desktop) has been stolen, or reported as stolen/missing? I'm thinking that since (until recently) new Dell PCs pretty much had to be purchased directly from Dell, that each PCs service tag number is recorded with the original purchasers name. So, I was wondering if you could go to the Dell web site and check the service tag and see if it's flagged, and if so, leave a messgae for the registered owner that you have the laptyop and would like to know the status (if it's stolen, or if they sold it), and return it if it has been unintentionally seperated from its legal owner. The reason I'm wondering is this: some very shady looking people brought me an older Dell laptop, and asked me to remove the admin password. I turned it on, saw that it was a BIOS power-on-password, so the PC is basically useless without the password. The person said "I had the laptop in storage for about a year and forgot the password". I don't believe 'em. I try to not be judgemental, but these people were dirty, had missing teeth, acted very jumpy and jittery and nervous. A friend of mine is also distantly acquainted with one of the two people that came in with the PC, and he has told me things about this persons lifestyle choices and about their past dealings with the legal system. Besides, the laptop looks almost brand new considering it's an older model. Having dealt with people like this before, I know that they very seldom take good care of their personal belongings, especially laptops. This laptop is in better condition than it's owner! Maybe I'm paranoid; maybe I'm a judgemental a-hole; but if the laptop is legit, no problem. If it's not, I'd like to return it to its rightful owner, and leave up to them to pursue legal action if they desire.... so.... is there anyway I can find out the status of this laptop? Thanks. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Check with the police in your neighborhood? If it was stolen and reported, they would have a listing of it.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah.... I'd feel like a major league a-hole if it was legit though. And I really don't like to deal with police, generally speaking. It seems that more problems arise, even when you contact the police for good reasons, with good intentions. But maybe an anonymous call from a payphone wouldn't hurt.....

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There is a scheme for recording the serial number of pcs so that if it is stolen and used on the net it can be identified and located.

I can't remember the reference tonight, ask your insurance company.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds