is there a way to locate a stolen laptop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jennmomof3, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jennmomof3

jennmomof3 Private First Class

One of my friends laptops was stolen out of her car last nite. She doesn't know the serial numbers (she never wrote them down somewhere safe). She never got insurance for it either, someone told her to get it and she didn't, but I don't know anyone with it for their computer. Is there a way if someone were to get the computer and get online (to surf the web), that the computer could be tracked that way? Like if they used a shareware program like Limewire or something?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Go to the police. That's all you can do really.

3. JPolito830

JPolito830 Private E-2

I agree...the police is really all that can help. Good luck and I hope you find it!

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I've heard of LOJACK for laptops, but its of no use for your friend now. I work at a college and there are laptops stolen all the time. People leave their bags sitting unattended and they seem surprised that theyre gone.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

There are various locator programs you can pre-install before the event. Not much use now, though. :cry

50 odd cars here in OZ had their windows broken in a spree 2 nights ago in a Sydney suburb. Valuables like mobile phones, wallets, laptops taken. I never can understand leaving valuables in open sight (usually). Bazza

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

When mine was stolen from my house, I had insurance and I had the serial number. None of it did me any good, except insurance replaced it. The police told me they don't have time to track things like that, but that they would send a description with serial numbers to the pawn shops. Unfortunately, it's up to the pawn shop owner to be honest if they get it. I called them all myself and was told one of two things: either they don't accept laptops because of the high probability of them being stolen, or that they don't keep track of serial numbers on them. It was easy to tell which type of shop was honest and which wouldn't report it if it came in.

Never saw mine again.

As for being able to tell if they get online...99% of the time they wipe the hard drive (after checking it for anything they can use, I would imagine). So you wouldn't be able to tell it from a new computer.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As Sgt.Tibbs said. There isn't much hope of retrieving a stolen laptop unless you have vital info. If kids steal it and you have the right software installed, you MIGHT be able to track it down, unless the HD is wiped.

Best tip for everybody is to insure it, advise your Insurer of Serial number, Make and Model, etc., and have a recent, really recent, FULL Backup on an external device (kept / stored separate from your PC).

If the Insurer comes to the party, you can re-install your FULL backup (if you can replace your laptop (with a similar make and model) and be up and running fairly quickly.

Bazza

8. jennmomof3

jennmomof3 Private First Class

Thanks everyone for your help. She has given up hope on getting it back. she bought a new one yesterday.

9. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

yeh, there are programs that you can purchase and install. if/and when they try to get online, it tries to "phone home" so to speak, and they could try and trace it. anyway, sorry to hear about their loss. - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds