Quick 'n Silly ?? about XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by triespice, Sep 29, 2007.

1. triespice

triespice Private E-2

I didn't say stupid question, because apparently there are none.

This is what I am thinking of doing, but I have a slight problem I think.
    (see end of thread)
    Just verifying that

My comp is running a bit slower than usual, had the odd virus ((that i KNOW of)) that I can't get rid of, and just really needs to be cleaned.

I bought an external HD to save all of my photos and all of my website files. (there should be little to no chance of carrying a virus from photos and my own written html files should there)

Then i was just going to wipe the OS clean and reinstall XP.

Well, here is the issue, when I got the comp 3 years ago it came with XP installed and of course I don't have a disc for it.

So, um, unless i go out and BUY a new XP home package that pretty much means I cannot do this....doesnt it??

This is my third and final (i hope) post for the day. If you are feeling extra helpful, please check out my other threads for the day.

TIA as always,
    TRIE

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Correct.... you need a Windows XP CD and product key to reload Windows unless your PC has a built-in recovery partition on the hard drive. Many HP's have this; you press F10 at power up to start the restore. You should have a product key sticker on the PC somewhere. If so, you can borrow a friend's XP CD and use your product key from the sticker to install.

3. triespice

triespice Private E-2

I do have a disc that says Compaq System Restore
    (and yes i know of the F10 function at start up)
    I am not sure where to look for a product key sticker...
    and I thought about trying to borrow a friends disc, but what if that doesnt work...
    will i then be stuck without an OS??
    LOL
    yeah, not really funny is it. :)

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Your BEST & SAFEST bet is to check this link out first http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 Read the entire link, and follow the advice to a "T". Chaslang, the Master of Malware has spent may hours perfecting all his advice tips, and they are the best out there.

If you do have a nasty, the good folks at "Malware" can help, formatting and reinstalling XP is the last resort. hope that Helps

5. triespice

triespice Private E-2

Thank you.
    I now have something to do tomorrow.... :)

Trie

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds