USB Hard Drive Problems/Primary Drive Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shrapnel, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Private E-2

Hi all,

Hardware: Compaq Armada 7400, 300Mhz PII, 64Mb RAM , 20 Gb USB ARCdisk (External).

Ok, here goes...i have come just been given the above kit. It did come with its standard 10Gb IBM HDD which is unserviceable (numerous clicking etc - slaved it to my desktop and no joy at all so its hitting the bin).

After a bit of thought i realised that i have a spare 20Gb external USB ARCdisk so i have been trying to install XP Pro SP1 on the machine (using the USB HDD as the primary drive-no internal disc). The install sets of ok, going through "inspecting hardware config", starts loading the drivers and then reaches the point of selecting the partition to install to (there is activity on the drive as it inspects it (red light) and shows the exact size of the disk but then falls over after i select the partition saying "Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the disk".

I then thought "ahhh USB" maybe the XP disk didn't have the right driver so i restarted the setup and hit "F6" to install a third party USB Mass Storage Device driver but as soon as i hit return to load the drivers from the floppy i get a message back saying "the file txtsetup.oem could not be found". Back to square one.

I can't even seem to gain access to the BIOS as the older Compaq seemed to use a partition on the HDD to store part of it (according to HP website).

Any idea's much appreciated, maybe i'm flogging a dead horse but i won't give up (<stubborn scowl>)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds