I'm using OPERA :) ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jun 4, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2. bigbazza

OPERA going to the trash bin soon, unless someone can tell me why documents take so long to load.

Clicking on threads that I want to view, or trying to make a reply seem to take an unneccesarily long time. Slower than AOl on dialup, or IE6 on broadband. Bazza

Attached Files:

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Not to many tips I can think of Bazza, as Opera is really fairly simple, you might want to PM Halo if he doesn't drop by, as he has used it longer than me. I did mention that every link or attachment you click on you have to confirm by clicking the "Pop-Up" window. Some sites do not support "Opera" so you will have to access them through IE, those sites are notable MS, and the major Banks. "Speed Dial" is a great feature for those sites you go to most often, there "BookMarks" feature sucks compared to FF, but you get use to it.................Hey have fun in the Fast Opera lane Bazza

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Sorry Bazza musta been typing my response, what documents are you having a problem with, I have not encountered that, it downloads much faster than IE or FF for me???

5. bigbazza

Think it might be a combination of Avast, Zone Alarm free and dodgy broadband connection.

Do I need ZA and Avast running behind a hardware router / modem?

Bazza

6. bigbazza

OPERA loads MG threads a lot faster when I close ZA and Avast, but is that safe computing? Bazza

PS: Seems to be ZA. I activated Avast and OPERA works OK.
    I have unloaded ZA and the speed is back. Baz

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not noticed slowness but the main tweak I did do was adjust Opera's max connections to server.

Open Opera > click Tools > Preferences > Advanced tab then change the Max Connections to Server and Max Total Connectiond to 64 > OK, then close Opera, re run and try again.

I only choose those settings a wild guess as they worked but you could try other combinations.

I dont use ZA anymore so that maybe why I also not seen slowness

8. bigbazza

OPERA doesn't talk to AOL, or vice versa, or both. :cry:(

A real PITA until I advise all of my change of email address from AOL.
    Guess I'll set up a Yahoo or Gmail address to get around this, so it never happens again when I change ISP's.

@Halo@

Thanks for the hint.
    I may pass on OPERA for the moment, as I have to swop connections from dialup to Broadband and vice versa to read emails. :p
    More investigations to do.:D Bazza

9. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I have dropped ZA and Avast and have found Comodo's free Firewall and anti-virus and anti Malware great so far Bazza............Thanks for the Opera tip Halo guess I should start playing some more with Opera, just love that "Speed Dial"

10. bigbazza

Do you run all the Comodo stuff with Opera and a hardware Router / modem?

I'd like to know what I can run, and not clash, with Wireless Broadband.

Bazza

===

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I was going to go with a "Wireless Router" when I got the laptop for the wife, but a little research told me to go Hard Wire Router. The wireless ones are just too easy to hack in your own neighbourhood. Comodo is similar to ZA at start-up Bazza, so I do not think you will have any problems, you know plenty of Pop-Ups to start. Since I have switched to primarily Opera/Comodo, I have noticed that when I do my monthly On-Line Bitdefender Malware scan I show no nasties, that was not the case before. Hope that helps Bazza

12. bigbazza

From what I have read (and I'm still learning), you can operate a WIFI router as a HardWire Router by running with an Ethernet cable from Router to PC, instaed of WiFi.

Experts please confirm, or reject this suggestion.:)

Secondly, It is relatively easy to stop others from using your WiFi connection by using various settings. I'm still to set this up properly as I am swopping my existing WiFi Router / Modem for an ADSL 2+ model approved by the telephone provider. In the next few days I will be setting up the new model and adding the security features.

Once again, experts please step. I'm still learning.:) Bazza

===

13. BCGray

BCGray Guest

All I can offer Bazza, is a clip someone posted here in the past were some guys in the UK went around in a van hacking into all the neighbourhoods Wireless Routers, it was amazing the info they got, and it didn't take them anymore than about a minute to hack into MOST routers............That was enough for me to shelf the "New" wireless router and go and buy another hard wired one

It only make sense when you think about it, I know when we fired up my wifes new laptop with a built in wireless network card we picked up four of our neighbours signals, and the sub-division we are in all lots are 2 acres in size. So I disabled the wireless card in her laptop, and went Hard wired.

But I too welcome some of the others ideas on this

14. bigbazza

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Use WPA PSK ( if wireless router supports it ) over WEP, WEP is not the most secure, also you can use MAC address filtering to allow specific access, to the wireless network. Also disable SSID ( stops opportunistic scans of networks ) so that to all intense and purpose your network is none viewable.

Use with WPA PSK a good long password, use uppercase, lowercase and numbers, dont use favorite words, your pets name, loved ones name etc

16. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

Bazza, I have been using a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router for quite a while. Most if not all wifi routers have 4 or more ethernet ports.

I use 2 of mine hard wired and use the wifi function for my laptop, my wife's PDA and sometimes I relax the security back to WEP so the kids can connect to the net with their Nintendo DS games.

Don't be spooked into not using wifi by doomsdayers and the sensationalist BS media. If, once set up, disable your SSID broadcast, you use WPA-PSK or WPA2 (if your router supports it) and for added security use MAC address filtering for just the devices in your house, you will be fine.
    Those people claiming to hack into peoples wifi routers in minutes ar simply connecting to unsecured networks. So many people set their wireless up with no security it isn't funny. I did a scan out the front of my house and detected 21 wireless networks, of these 11 were unsecured and so could be accessed by anyone.

In my opinion, you don't need a software firewall, but I am no expert. My malware scans are always clean, athough I don't visit dodgey sites all that often and I am careful with email. I do however use Antivir.

I'd suggest go to somewhere like Shields Up to check how secure your machine is with just the router and no software firewall. It might give piece of mind.

I must have changed a setting, I don't get this.

What is it you don't like about it, I don't see a difference to Firefox?

Please persevere with opera, learn how to use the shortcuts and mouse gestures which are integrated, you end up loving it.

Sorry for the long post.
    **edit** Took so long to post that, Halo got in with the wifi security bit. Cheers.

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

18. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

19. bigbazza

Thanks guys for the continuing opinions. Keep them coming. :cool

Opera has gone to the recycle bin for now.
    2 new Browsers to try:D
    (see my latest post in http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127854)
    New modem / router coming today. Thanks for the security tips :major
    The battle continues.;)

Bazza

20. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

You'll probably give Flock the flick, excuse they play. I found it a nice browser with cool features for bloggers but a real memory hog.

21. bigbazza

One shouldn't count ones chickens before they hatch. :)
    Australian Air Express (AEA) have lost my new Modem / Router. :cry
    What should have taken 18 hours from pickup to delivery has racked up 36 hours so far. Tracing on the AEA website indicate that it has been picked up at the company, and then nothing. :cry:(:p Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds