Wifi problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ppreheim, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ppreheim

ppreheim Private First Class

My son just graduated high school so we moved hom out to the barn. He needs an internet connection and this is causing us a problem as we also need it in the house. We are using SBC Global DSL which has a 2wired router/modem but its wifi range does not reach the barn which is 200 feet away from the House computer. Inside the house we have a brand new Dell desktop that will need to be hard wired as well as a laptop that has wireless capability. In the barn my son needs to get his laptop online which is wireless as well as his gaming system which I think is an X-Box but will let you know for sure if it is needed later. I don't know if the gaming system has wireless abilities or not.

I understand that I can dig a trench and run a wire the entire length of the 200 ft but would rather go the wireless route if possible. If I do go this way would I need to boost the signal to run it through that much wire?

Any help is appreciated. Cost effectiveness is a must.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

200 feet huh?

You have several possibilities.

If you can place your wifi router, in a housing, midway between the barn and the house you can probably get away without extra equipment, and service both buildings from the midway point.

Alternatively you could get two wifi repeaters and place them at half the max distance (75 feet) spacing to reach the barn. This leaves the router in the house. You cannot place a repeater at the extremity of the transmitter range because it needs to pick up enough juice to boost.

Cables are usually the cheapest solution.

3. ppreheim

ppreheim Private First Class

Does anyone make a router/modem that will cover that distance?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds