Background processes slowing down Windows7

Discussion in 'Software' started by paulnmaryi, Oct 17, 2010.

1. paulnmaryi

paulnmaryi Private E-2

Hello all,

I am new to the forums but, I am having some issues with my laptop. Everything is taking a while to open, it seems to always be "working" and so on.

I do use AVG Internet security suite. I am running Windows 7 and would like some recommendations from users about what utilities I should use from MajorGeeks.com that may be able to tell if background processes are the issue and be able to speed it up some.

Thank you for any help or suggestions that can be provided.

Sincerely,
    Maryi

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome to Majorgeeks :)

The first thing I'd do is open Task Manager > Performance > View and check 'Show Kernel times', that will add a lower line to CPU usage. What % does kernel time take? And normal CPU usage %?

Count the Windows Services that are running (TaskMan Services tab) and the Processes (Processes tab).

Install and start CCleaner, go to Tools > Startup, click Save to text file (bottom right) and attach the list to your next reply.

3. paulnmaryi

paulnmaryi Private E-2

Thank you for your reply.

I have installed and ran CCleaner. When counting processes and services on Taskman, there are 73 processes running between the four user accounts on my computer ( kids all have own accounts ) and there are 85 services running.

The CPU usage % runs about 1 - 9% when I am just sitting there watching it. The Kernal time is hard to read but it will jump up to 4% but for the most time it is barely visable.

If there is anything else you need, just let me know. Or if I have not done something correctly, let me know that as well. :)

Thank you again for all your help.

Maryi

Attached Files:

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The CPU/Kernel times sound ok :)

The process count is a little high though and you have a lot of drag from the Startups.

StartupCPL is one of the best ways of controlling the Startups, better than MSConfig/CCleaner which are better for troubleshooting them. Once installed, you can access it from Windows Control Panel.

Some of the Startups are software updaters, most of these can be ditched (preferably turned off in their respective preferences) if you are happy with running (yet another) piece of software, Secunia PSI. This, when run regularly, will update most of the common software and also update Windows. It does not need to be run at Windows Start if you make it part of your weekly security/tuneup schedule.

I would remove/disable :-
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Persistence C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat_sl.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run Acrobat Assistant 8.0 "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Try that and report back.

5. bbearren

bbearren Private E-2

Are all accounts staying logged in and using "Switch user" to go from one account to another?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds