I hate computers, hate them hate them hate them

Discussion in 'Software' started by jessyfratto, Nov 1, 2004.

1. jessyfratto

jessyfratto Private E-2

in case you don't get it, I am just fed up with computers. I have done everything everyone told me to do with computers, from checking my host files to downloading zip files to throwing my computer onto the highway, and I still can't get to shutterfly, priceline, cnn, and some other sites.
    at least the http:///? is gone, but now it goes to msn site and someone said that is corrupt too. I give up. :mad: *crying in the corner*

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

lol ok calm down, a problem is always fixable!
    how long have you been experiencing this problem?
    can we have your full system spec (the more info, the better)?
    and your internet connection speed?

once we have these, we can point you in the right direction!

3. jessyfratto

jessyfratto Private E-2

basically I am running windows 2000 ( this is an office computer, and the sad thing is I am the computer tech here ( only 3 people in the office)) and we have sprint DSL. I ran spysweeper, used the Cw shredder, installed mozilla/firefox, ran those zip files ( I think there were 4 or 5) from this site, went here and followed it word for word (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_QHOSTS.A) and used adaware.

and since I am pretty new to this, what is a full system spec?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Jessy, I think it was me who told you that link had SpyWare and Adware.

When I clicked on it, a variant of CoolWebSearch tried to change my home page to "about:blank" and install a toolbar within 2 minutes or so.

I tried twice and it done the same thing both times.

I was lucky that I had sufficient protection, but I still couldn't delete all the files (rundlg32.dll).

I personally think your PC is infected, and if it is this strain of CoolWebSearch, it's extremely difficult to remove and if you miss just one step it will reinstall again.

Have you tried the SpyWare forum for some steps and links?

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

ok, a full system spec is basically tell us as much information about your computer as you can, motherboard, processor, cards, etc.
    if you download a program called system info - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download340.html

it'll tell you your spec so just copy out the mains bits such as motherboard, ram, processor, graphics card hard drive, other drives etc.

have you got all the java options enabled, and make sure they're enabled in firefox, firefox is the browser for less spyware too and as insomniac said - there could be some spyware blocking you, so is there a decent firewall there?

6. jessyfratto

jessyfratto Private E-2

okay, I am running that registry mechanics thing right now

however, since I am new at this, how do I go about telling you my specs? is it in the registry mechanics thing?

7. liljohn

liljohn Private E-2

have you ran your antivirus as well as spybot and adaware? mabe the mcafee avert stinger might help.

8. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

I believe insomniac gave you the best advice re: going to the spyware section -- first go to this link:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

what the others say will help but you have to follow these steps as much as possible -- it's a basic solution (or a beginning point) for spyware problems and since you seem to be talking about Browser issues/hijacking problems (not being able to access sites) this is what you need to read.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds