IE7 Installed - Boot hangs at "Applying Computer Settings"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Burly, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I've searched the forum but fear that others aren't having this trouble. I installed IE7 and when i boot up, my pc hangs when applying personal and computer settings. It does boot after about 30 minutes, but that's unacceptable. I can't be the only one?!

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

yeah it can be a bitch!
    The 'standard ' download for IE7 actually installs three things and takes half an hour (on broadband) as a result. These are IE7, Various windows updates and the Microsoft malicious software removal tool.
    The 'good ' news is you get a tick box when you down load the updates, you should untick the optional extras and do those at another session.
    You will have gathered from this that you need to uninstall IE7 and reinstall it again as suggested.
    If you can uninstall from add/remove programs in the control panel.
    If not
    open windows explorer (notIE)
    on the tools menu press folder options
    select view tab
    in the advanced settings check show hidden files
    press apply then OK
    then go to start
    start>run>type in
    %SystemRoot%\ie7spuninst.exe /OK
    follow the on screen instructions

If this does not work there is a much harder proceedure from the recovery console. Once you have installed IE7 you cannot do an XP repair install without breaking Windows.breaking windows.
    I will post this if needed.

Studio T

3. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Thank you. The installation completed fine but my boot time is ridiculous. Does this have to do with one of these particular programs it installs? Actually, IE7 runs great once i'm booted up, too.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes it is usually one of the extras.
    I realise you can actually get windows started - many can't
    You may be able to clear the problem by simply going to windows update and finishing the job. Did you turn on the phishing filter?

If not well you have the drill.

Studio T

5. Burly

Burly Private E-2

No, I'm pretty sure I optioned to turn phishing off. I did a windows update and all it had for me was a recent security patch and that didn't help. I also ccleaned my registry and that didn't do anything, either.

6. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I uninstalled IE7, downloaded the manual install, and install it without the extra programs (unchecked the checkbox on installation) and this did not work. Still took about 20-30 minutes to load settings. Usual boot time is probably about 1-2 minutes.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

When you uninstalled IE7 you should have been back to IE6.
    Presumably this worked OK for you to have reinstalled IE7 ? Did you manage to return your pc to a stable working state, before reinstalling IE7?

8. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Yes, the pc always remains stable at all times with either version of browser. The only problem it has is a 30 minute "hang" time before launching the desktop. IE6 works fine. However, i'm a UI designer for a software company and I have to upgrade. Otherwise, I'd just use 6.

9. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Don't mean to reply to myself, here, but what does the browser have to do with starting up the machine? My startup menu doesn't seem to contain anything that refers to the browser at all. I'm lost on this one.

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Note time on clock
    Boot system
    Once it has started
    Note time on clock then
    start>control panel>administrative tools>eventviewer

read each of the event files for the time the system was 'applying settings'
    See if you can find out what process was taking so long and post it.

Studio T

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The question about IE6/7 was aimed at seeing if the IE7 installation is actually anything to do with your problem or coincidental. Did the slow start occur before with ie6? did the slow start occur when you reverted to ie6?

12. Burly

Burly Private E-2

it appears to be my network ... "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link." -

But i didn't reboot and test again... i'll try after a meeting.

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Last post tonight
    IE7 (like 6 before it) introduce many changes to Windows itself including many security changes which is why the ?upgrade? is such a big deal (as was 6).
    I would guess that you have identified the villain it sounds similar to what happened to Windows NT if you tried to boot when an expected network connection was awol.
    Look in the policies section to see what needs editing.

14. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Thanks for all your time today. I'll give it a shot.

15. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I still have not found the solution. I updated the driver for the network adaptor... i'm at a loss. Maybe i'll just keep the system running 24/7.

16. Burly

Burly Private E-2

This continues to be a huge issue for me after about a month. If anyone has heard about a solution to this problem, I would be super thankful for any help. I have to waste 30 minutes every time I boot my machine.

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't believe I saw the results of this test because it was thought to be the network.

How about trying this one again?

Studio T

18. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I chased a wild goose with this one for some time before giving up.

Here is my event log from my morning boot:

Information 3/20/2007 8:43:55 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:43:55 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:43:55 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:43:55 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:20:03 AM b57w2k None 9 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:20:03 AM b57w2k None 15 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:20:21 AM eventlog None 6005 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/20/2007 8:20:21 AM eventlog None 6009 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT
    Information 3/19/2007 5:00:42 PM eventlog None 6006 N/A BCAMPBELL-LT

19. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Oh, also, when I look at the properties for the event "b57w2k" is reads as this:

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.

This is why i figured it to be a network problem. But why would IE7 have anything to do with this? I'm at a loss.

20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is the 0820 to 0843 the 20 minutes gap where nothing was happening?

Studio T

21. Burly

Burly Private E-2

yeah, it hangs at "applying computer settings" during that time.

22. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Just a stoopid thought really. Does this happen at this time every morning? I.e. are you connecting to a company network which is not on until 0843.

Studio T

23. Burly

Burly Private E-2

No, this happens at each reboot, every time, and it is almost always exactly the same amount of time it takes. If I uninstall Ie7, everything goes back to normal, but i'm a UI designer and I need Ie7.

24. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I have the information and I will look into it. Meanwhile enjoy your extended morning coffee break with an extra donut.

Studio T

25. Burly

Burly Private E-2

hahah, yeah, that's what i've been doing... but it feels so... wrong rolleyes

Thanks for looking into it, I really appreciate it.

26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Try this

In Internet Explorer 7 goto Tools>manage add-ons
    lookfor
    Windows live sign-in helper
    disable it if you have it.

If it's not listed or the disable doesn't work see if you can find file wlloginproxy.exe anywhere. (yes double L)

If you have the file edit the registry at

HKLM\software\microsoft\internet explorer\lowrightselevationpolicy.

save this key and its value then delete it.

This process had been reported as causing your problem.
    My IE7 runs perfectly without either the file or the registry key present on the PC with XP2 SP2

Studio T

27. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I do not see this add-on in any of the 4 categories. I did read about disabling all of them and then enabling them one by one or something.

28. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Try the disabling. The list will still be there and yo ucan re-enable.
    The add-on I mentioned is concerned with Windows messenger, which I don't use.
    Clearly something is trying to connect (unsuccessfully) during your dead period, The 'updates' associated with IE7 load all sorts of things into Windows which make system restore unusable for instance.

You could do an investigation with process explorer from major geeks or the simpler strun free from nirsoft. This looks a bit like MSconfig but shows processes not shown in MSconfig.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun_setup.exe

By the way did you have Windows and the .net up to date when you installed ie7?

Studio T

29. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I do have windows and .net updated, i believe. This is all pushed to us by the IT dept and our auto updates. I actually decided to download the latest IE7 today and reinstall, but it didn't help. I will run your utility.

30. Burly

Burly Private E-2

I disabled everything in startup that the utility listed. It didn't help. This thing must either be a registry thing or a network thing. I'm thinking active directory and kerberos tickets... but i don't know how the crap to troubleshoot that stuff. I'll try opening a ticket with our IT dept. but I think i'm deeper into it already.

31. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

They should have the commercial software capable of monitoring the boot process. ERD Commander springs to mind (it used to be about $1000).
    I don't think it's a faulty system file I think soemthing has been installed along with IE7 that is trying to connect to somewhere.
    There were net reports of between 5 and 20 minutes wait for the Windows Live Sign In Helper. Since it is not that then they will have to look for something else.
    Good luck

Studio T

32. Burly

Burly Private E-2

Thanks, Studiot. I will post the solution if we ever find it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds