how do you install wireless on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darlene1029, Dec 26, 2007.

1. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

My granddaughter got a laptop for Christmas, her parents even paid an extra hundred dollars to Geek Squad to tweak it (remove unnecessary programs) but she can't get online. They have ATT/Yahoo DSL on home computer. Does she have to buy anything additional (I would imagine so) I have seen an ad for a card for 40 something dollars on TV that is supposed to locate the internet wherever you are, also is there an additional monthly charge?
    Thank you for any information, :)

2. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

she would need either a built in wireless NIC card or a PCMCIA wireless NIC card in order to access your wireless router (oh yea, if you don't have that you would need it as well or access to a wireless access point). Hope this helps.

Jack

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Most likely, that new laptop has a built-in wireless network adapter. If so, then an additional network card is not necessary.

As Wraith said, a wireless access point is needed. If they only have their DSL modem and no other networking devices such as a wireless router, then that laptop has no source for a wireless signal.

D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear are well-known brands of routers. Here's one that would be quite suitable for getting wireless access for the laptop: LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just to expand a bit on what the others have said, you most likely have a Cat5 ethernet plug and a wireless card in the laptop. If you go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and click on Network Adapters, it should show you what is on the computer (assuming the OS is WinXP).

Before you buy anything, let's see what is 'under the hood'. :D

E

5. darlene1029

Thanks everyone, I have not seen it yet, I'll email them this page in hopes it helps.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is possible that BB screwed things up by doing their $100 or so Tweak job.

7. darlene1029

I think they said it was an offer that went with the purchase.

8. darlene1029

They bought this and got it working, thanks:)

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds