RE: Found New Hardware At Startup, Services, & Security Software Issue - HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, May 15, 2010.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have an issue that it is been concerning and annoying for over the past week. This references or relates to my security software BitDefender Internet Security 2010. (Oh, I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, basically Windows XP Professional.) I have been communicating for a week now with them and all communication has stopped within the last few days with their Senior level Tech Support. I think I have them completely stumped as they are not responding to me any longer to my replies. (I am now contemplating if I want them any longer as my security software.) I hope for assistance from a professional to guide me with my issue. You may know my solution or safely troubleshoot to find the resolution. This would be greatly appreciated!!!

This is the issue:

At the conclusion of the loading of the startup icons after starting Windows XP, I receive a window that states “Found New Hardware” “Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard”. First when I received this window, I have ran the wizard to try to locate the drivers or programs that it was requesting. To no avail did I find a solution to this issue. At each system restart, the same window would load requesting some driver or program. I was curious as to the missing driver or program it was requesting. This issue has been happening over the past week. I did not know if some driver or program is missing, there is some corruption in the system, or some malware on my system causing this issue. To further explore this issue, I went to the Device Manager and I see an entry for “Other devices” with a yellow question mark in front of it. Expanding that, I see only one item stating “Unknown device” with a yellow question mark in front of it with a yellow circle over the question mark and a black exclamation mark in the yellow circle. I open up this device and find under the General tab that it is an “Unknown device” with “Device type:” “Other devices”, “Manufacturer”: “Unknown”, and “Location: Unknown”. The “Device status” states “The device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.” For the Driver tab, “Driver Provider:” “Unknown”, “Driver Date:” “Not available”, “Driver Version:” “Not available”, and “Digital Signer:” “Not digitally signed”. For the Details tab, for the “Device instance Id” I get the only information (clue) relating to the source of this issue. It states, “ROOT\LEGACY_ARRAKIS3\0000” without the quotes.

Now, I did a Google search and found that the “Arrakis” is a service with BitDefender. I said to myself, what is going on with my BitDefender now? So I figured the service has been possibly disabled. I would need to restart it and maybe I could get it to work. I proceed to Services.msc window, and see an entry for "BitDefender Arrakis Server". I click on the entry and I receive an error message on my screen stating, “Services” “Configuration Manager: The specified value does not exist in the registry.” If I click on the “OK” button in this error message, the properties window does indeed open. I see the “Startup type:” “Manual” and the “Service status:” “Stopped” with the "Start" button available to activate. I click on the Start button, and the service does indeed start. Okay, I seem to get it running. I click “OK” in the properties window to close this service. I think that I will now try reboot the system and see if I do not get that “Found New Hardware” window anymore and have this problem solved. I do just that. I find that the same window opens again (“Found New Hardware") near the end of the loading startup programs. I see there is some issues going on that I now need BitDefender’s help. I chatted with a BitDefender Tech Representative. I explain the same issues I am receiving. The Tech Rep. provides me a link that I need to follow. The Tech Rep. believes I have an infection and I need to first perform a deep full system scan with my BitDefender Internet Security 2010. So I decide to follow the Tech Rep.’s instructions and this web page’s instructions as well. I have ran a full deep system scan with BitDefender Internet Security 2010 and the scan is clean, no infections. I have also uninstalled and ran full scans with other security software like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Microsoft Security Essentials, ESET Smart Security 4. In all circumstances, their deepest scans and the latest updates were performed. There was no malware found. I would figure at this point there is no malware on my system. Maybe???

Additionally, I also found within the Services window that the "BitDefender Threat Scanner" has stopped. This service can be started like the "BitDefender Arrakis Server" that can be manually restarted, the "BitDefender Threat Scanner" needs to be restarted at each system restart too. I am wondering if these two (2) services that are not restarted following system start (which typically will run following system start), if my BitDefender protections are compromised and my system is vulnerable until I restart both of them?

Please help me with this issue. I am thinking it may be some registry issue since I receive is an error message on my screen stating, “Services” “Configuration Manager: The specified value does not exist in the registry.” at the core of my issue when I get to Services.msc . Just a guess. Thanks for your input!

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Any resolution on this yet?
    Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
    You don't have two firewalls or two antivirus programs competing with each other, do you?

3. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

BitDefender never responded. After waiting and no response, only solution was to do a clean install. I was not a happy camper at all! Reason: Never known the root cause. Possible deeply hidden malware that the leading scanners do not detect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds