Computer Problems while Gaming

Discussion in 'Software' started by GameBoyColor, Jul 10, 2011.

1. GameBoyColor

GameBoyColor Private E-2

Hello,

I am having a weird problem that is driving me insane. My labtop computer just shuts itself off in the middle of playing a game. It happens when I play Oblivion and when I play Guildwars. There is no warning....the computer just shuts off. It can happen after 2 minutes of gaming or an hour. Time does not seem to matter. The other weird thing is that it never happens doing other mundane tasks like word processing or surfing the Internet. It only shuts down while playing games. I am running the latest video card driver and my copy of Windows 7 has all the latest updates. I also do not have any virus/malware. I do not think it is software related and would rather not have to reload Windows 7. Please help!

Computer Specs:

Gateway NV79 LABTOP
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 2.13 GHz
    64-bit Operating System
    RAM 4.00 (3.68 GB usable)
    Windows 7

Charger Input if needed?
    100-240V
    Charger Output if needed?
    19V

2. Saul Good

Saul Good Private E-2

I would be interested to know your cpu and gpu temps. I'm not an expert, but I would download CPU-Z, and GPU-Z and check out my temps under load. I'm especially not an expert on laptops. Just what I would check.

Nothing different like your playing on a bed, or it's a scorcher of a day?

Good luck.

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Saul Good is heading down the correct road in my opinion, those symptoms just scream overheating, especially on a laptop.

Download "Speccy" from the download section here at MG's and check temps.
    Make a note of temps on idle and then fire a game, run it for a few minutes and then minimize game and check temps again.

When gaming on a laptop you should have it seated on a clear flat surface that allows plenty of airflow (ie: not on your lap or bed or such like)
    It's also a good idea to get some aftermarket cooling for your laptop if you are going to play heavy games on it.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm with everyone else in the thread, your laptop is definitely over-heating.

My laptop used to do the exact same thing when I was gaming on it. I downloaded and ran CPU-ID's HWMonitor and discovered that immediately after shutdown, my GPU temperatures were nearly 90C. In a laptop, that's way too hot! So I invested in a cooling pad and now I can just about get up to 70C after hours of gaming, which is much better, and considerably less deadly for my poor Black Lotus. :)

Best $30 I've spent in a long time. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds