RAM overclocking gone quite bad... crappy GIGABYTE mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by begleysm, Mar 1, 2008.

1. begleysm

begleysm Private E-2

Reposted here from the Hardware forum

Hello, I'm new to the forums but I just built a brand new computer with the parts listed below.

I had it up and running without any OCing or modding and got a score of ~10300 on 3DMark06 (4 tests over 3 reinstalls of windows all gave similar results). I noticed that, on POST, my RAM was registering as DDR2 800 and I decided that, since Crucial guaranteed that it would run at 1066 5-5-5-15, I would up the speed and cut down the timing.

Now, I am pretty computer savvy but this is my 1st foray into OverClocking of any kind. I went into the BIOS, got into the RAM section, changed the multiplier from 4.00 to 5.33 (changing the RAM clock from 800 to 1066 MHz). Then I changed the timings from AUTO to MANUAL and knocked em down to 5-5-5-15. Restarted my comp and it basically failed miserably. I got a few bad sounding beeps, my computer restarted and it, appears, that the BIOS was kind enough to reset the RAM settings for me. So I went back in to the BIOS upped the multiplier back to 5.33 and left the timings on AUTO. This time the computer booted into Windows but it ran INCREDIBLY slowly (15+ seconds to register a mouse click or keyboard press). Also, my harddrive was making an audible click every 5 seconds or so.

I reformatted my HDD and reinstalled Windows and it booted up ok. Except now I get a score of ~8200 (2 tests) on 3DMark06 and my motherboard complains of either a MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR or BACKUP BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR on upwards of 75% of the times I start the computer. On that 25% when it doesn't happen it boots into Windows fine. I have tried flashing the BIOS (it is now version F4e) and I have tried taking out the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. I've also let memtest86+ run for about 4 hours (about 4 passes) and got no errors.

My best guess is that this BIOS CHECKSUM thing is more of a coincidence (then as a result of my changing the RAM timings) and that my MOBO is shot. My plan right now is to call Gigabyte on Monday and then, most likely, RMA the thing on Tuesday after Gigabyte isn't able to help me.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the follow...
    - how to go about diagnosing or fixing this BIOS CHECKSUM problem.
    - why did my RAM timing changes fail so miserably?
    - are there any RAM settings saved on the RAM itself or is it sort of "passive".
    - any opinions on whether my meager overclocking attempts could have damaged something?
    - any other reason I would see a ~20% performance hit on 3DMark06 besides my mobo is fecked or I ruined my RAM somehow?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Did you check the Crucial website for their specific overclocking instructions for this particular RAM? My first thought is that, in order to run at the faster clock speed, you very likely also need to increase the RAM voltage (that would be another setting in the BIOS). See what voltage setting Crucial recommends for your particular RAM. Be aware that if you increase the voltage to the RAM the RAM will also run hotter than before. Unless it's equipped with special "heat spreaders", or some other means of conducting the additional heat away from the RAM (a fan blowing on the RAM, for example) that heat may drastically shorten the life of the RAM. Most RAM designed for overclocking has such special heat spreaders, but check your RAM warranty to see whether overclocking voids the warranty. In such a case, you want to be especially sure you have adequate cooling for the RAM if you're determined to overclock it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds