To compress or not compress (with Disk Cleanup) ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Dec 9, 2008.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

XP 'Disk Cleanup' option to 'Compress old files'... is it ok to 'compress' them ?
    Downside/s vs upside/s ?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

TBH, I dont see the point with large hard drives these days to compress data, never personally felt the need, but with the speed of CPUs etc these days any speed issue with compressing and decompressing files for use is not going to been seen, but will use minorly more CPU time over not compressing old files if they for any reason need to be accessed.

One of those old questions that goes more or less either way with user choice being the option as some will and some wont use compression, personally as mentioned I dont, if I need more space I delete what I dont want, burn data to CD/DVD or get larger/extra HD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds