Acer Laptop Hard Drive Dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kodasmom, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kodasmom

kodasmom Private E-2

I am having issues with my laptop hard drive.... First I started getting this error....Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart I am running XP pro on my laptop.

The drive is a 40 gig Maxtor. I ran Maxtor's Powermax and all of the tests passed. I did a low level format. Since I was unable to access the drive through Hiren's Mini XP. Now I have another issue......

When I try to do a clean install for Windows XP Pro, set up will get to where the partition is. I had windows create the partition the first time. Will install the files, reboot and it goes right back to wanting to install files for the partition..... on the bottom of the blue screen I have: Enter=Continue R=Repair F3=Quit..... Can't get past this screen....

Am I right? The HD is dead?

2. kodasmom

kodasmom Private E-2

Ok... I answered my own question..... Just short of pulling my hair out, I fixed this bleeping thing. The master boot record was corrupt...... I repaired it and I have it up and running again! :-D

I have a few more bald spots but I am glad I figured it out........ I am getting better and better at figuring these things out..... LOL

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

You're becoming a veritable...um...geek! ;)

May I ask: did you use the Repair Console, then 'fixmbr'? Or some other method?

4. kodasmom

kodasmom Private E-2

I used Repair Console and then 'fixmbr'......

Yep I believe that I am becoming a veritable geek.... ;) Thank you for your help during this... I really appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds