proxy IP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, May 11, 2013.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I have a USB-internet link, I think its Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter
    when I am done with using the internet, I take it out of the USB port, thus my computer isnt connected to the internet

I think this might help prevent my computer from getting spyware/malware, etc

so I think If I had a proxy IP, that would also help?
    is that right?
    if so, how do I get a proxy IP?
    My ISO tells me I have a dynmaic IP addresss, but I know I've had the same IP for the last 13 months

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It won't help a bit, in either case.

Malware doesn't target IP addresses in particular, and it doesn't infect an idle connection. It almost always requires user interaction, be it going to a website, or opening an email, or clicking on a link, or installing an app.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I find it discerning when google always knows where I am when I use a google maps, etc
    arent other sites also tracking me?
    wouldnt I rather have a proxy IP than not have one?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Google knows where you are because you accepted when they asked to see your location. In which case, it triangulates according to IP, ISP, and such.

As I said, all user initiated.

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Google's location is at best a guess, anyway. They've usually got me anywhere between ten and 150 miles away from my actual location. Much like my phone, which will choose any one of four different locations while I am standing in my living room, none of which are closer than a half-mile from my house.

6. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, Google usually doesn't even get the right city for me, much less my address. 0_o. The only ones that can do that, are the I.S.P., which has my billing address, or the cops if they wanted to Subpoena the info for some weird reason.
    ~ But then again, they'd 'prolly just use the phone book. .rolleyes

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is no way for it to get the correct address, because it uses triangulation which isn't an exact science. It can be several hundred miles off.

You need GPS to be accurate to meters.

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Most of the time services such as Google Maps use the location of the Point of Presence (PoP) of the Internet Service Provider (ISP). In large/medium sized cities with a strong local presence from one or more ISPs there will be a PoP connecting all the towns/villages/residences in the area around the PoP city.

Google can really only get as far as the PoP city as beyond that the ISP will allocate a dynamic (changeable) IP to a router at a residence which in theory will change regularly. Plus, the IP address for the residence will be on a closed network owned by the ISP that will prevent Google from looking at the actual address of the residence.

ISPs will also regularly "load balance" the number of people accessing the PoP by shifting people around between PoPs, leading to Google saying that you are in a diverse number of locations

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds