ethernet card bad ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wrangler2100, Feb 20, 2006.

1. wrangler2100

wrangler2100 Private First Class

I have my sisters computer at my house was going to download some updates and a couple of other useful programs using my cable isp , she does not have internet right now, I plugged wire into ethernet slot but I cant get online . Keeps saying cannot find server. I went back thru the set up for it all and everything seems set up fine. my comp works fine. also she had dsl at her house and it would not connect to it either but no problems with a laptop . could ethernet card be bad ? I am also running a router . the computer is a compaq presario win xp home athlon xp 2600 , the cable modem and router are both lynksys any ideas ?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try this first, start run "inetwiz" then select connect using local area network, next, no then finish, see if that helps.

3. wrangler2100

thanks for replies, tried what colemanguy suggested still no luck.

4. wrangler2100

will try to pick one up tomorrow, also noticed that there is nowhere to connect a phone line for dial up , would the ethernet and phone use same connection , i know they are different sizes , just thought maybe phone goes in deeper for a different connection.

5. wrangler2100

tried a new card still not working

6. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Have you tryed a dif. cat5 cable ??? My freind has a router with a dead port.... all the ports blink and act normal but one wont connect........

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

First thing you'll want to do is to take the router away. You'll need to see if you can get connected to the internet without it. I suggest you call your ISP. They won't help you set up the router, but they will help you get your single computer on the internet.

Then from there, you'll need to follow the directions in the box with the router to the letter.

8. wrangler2100

my connection is fine cables are fine this computer is one I am working on it sets right beside my comp I can take the wire out of mine and plug into this one and it will not work then plug it back into mine and it works fine , no problem getting online, seems like a setting might be off or something , looked for firewalls but cant find any , the only thing is when i try to open the anti virus it will not open , gives me an error message that says it doesnt have all files it needs.

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Error messages, Post the exact message for help with that.

Here's some Firewall info/settings Windows XP with SP2 has built in firewall:
    Understanding Windows firewall:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx
    Troubleshooting Windows firewall:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875357

Has this PC ever been online?

How to configure a connection to the Internet in Windows XP Professional:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305549/

Windows XP Internet Programs Cannot Connect to the Internet Through Broadband Connection:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307164/

Connecting Your Home or Small Office Network to the Internet:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/connect/default.mspx

10. Oh hey i think i have the solution. You can thank windows for giving you this hard time. If you run ipconfig and there are ip addresses listed, then windows is seeing the connection. What is going on is that maybe you have it disabled. Go to control panel, network and dialup connections and it should be listed there. It might be disabled so maybe you simply have to enable it in windows. That should take care of it. And no phone lines and ethernet lines are two totally different cables. If you want to connect the pc to a dialup internet connection you need to sign up with and isp and get a dialup modem which will accept a straight telephone line running into it. From there you can link up to the net with a dialup connection. Alot of AOL freebees at stores if you want to maybe try them but it is up to you.
    -the new tech guy

11. wrangler2100

yes it has been online before , using dial up and i have had it here on my cable. i tried plugging it straight from the modem , disconnecting my router, and still nothing . i tried to type in the ipconfig but nothing came up , a black box flashed on for a half a second and that was all , did a restore on it back to factory settings but still no better.i guess i will get a dial up modem to install and try using dial up

12. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Don't type it in the "run" field, as that's what'll happen. Open a command prompt (ie: DOS window) and type "ipconfig /all" there, then it won't disappear on you. It should list your adaptor & ip addresses like in the pic I've attached. Let us know what yours shows.

Attached Files:

13. wrangler2100

connection specific DNS suffix:
    autoconfigeration IP address 169.254.6.23
    subnet mast 255.255.0.0
    default gateway:
    that is what came up I checked settings in control panel and they are enabled

14. Ok so that means the pc is seeing the netowork. Did you try loading the drivers for the network card?
    -the new tech guy

15. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I don't think your machine is getting it's address from the DHCP server. The address posted wouldn't have come from any domestic router I'm aware of. When your connected to your regular computer, what is the IP address?

I only skimmed this thread and didn't see any reference to a firewall. If you have one on the troublesome machine , try turning it off for testing purposes

16. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, you probably have a static IP address set up rather than DHCP. It would also explain why your submet mask is 255.255.0.0 and you have no default gateway.

Open up My Computer and type in "My Network Places".
    Then click on "View Network Connections".
    Right Click->Properties on your Ethernet connection.
    Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select properties.
    Make sure "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" are selected. If either of them are not selected, then this is your problem.

17. wrangler2100

both settings are checked for auto and firewall is off , ip on the comp that works is
    IP 192.168.1.100
    SUB 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.1.1

18. Shang

Shang Private E-2

IP 192.168.1.100
    SUB 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.1.1

Those are your router's IP's.

19. That means the netowork is being seen. So maybe a config is necessary which is where drivers come in. I say load them if availible and see if they help, also make sure your firewall on the router is disabled and turn off any running encryption as this could be what is going on.
    -the new tech guy

20. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The network is NOT being seen by the computer. Thats why it has the wrong IP address and subnet mask. This is NOT a driver issue.

Set a static IP on the machine thats not working.

IP 192.168.1.50
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS leave blank

21. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

The IP address that you have on the non working computer was assigned to it by XP because it could not find the DHCP. The IP address on the working computer is not the routers address. The routers address is the default gateway.
    Does it have an AV installed?
    Can you run the update from within the AV's program?
    Have you run the AV to see if the system has a virus?
    Is the system running alright otherwise?

Check this page out to see if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357
    You may want to have this moved to the software or malware site for better results.

22. Hmm ok so by what peter is saying, the computer is having those ips set by windows? But i would try shutting down the firewalls on both pcs if they have them scince the firewall may be blocking them. Best way to make sure it is not doing anything is to uninstall it altogther for the purpose of the test. After the problem is resolved then you should load it up again.
    -the new tech guy

23. wrangler2100

thanks for all the replies , tried everything suggested runnind av scan , driver reloads, shut off firewalls, would dial up have same problem ? might try to get a modem to try and see if it might work on phone line , first computer ever seen without one already.if not guess it will go to comp shop .

24. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

25. wrangler2100

I am thankful to say that I am posting this on the computer that I was having problems with. I would like to thank everyone who responded to my problems I think it was the last post I downloaded a copy of winsocfix put it on cd ,ran it on comp and everything started working thanks again

26. Glad to help :)
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds