how do disable sophos application restrictions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by torrente2008, Jul 8, 2009.

1. torrente2008

torrente2008 Private E-2

Is it possible to remove stupid application restrictions made by the network administrator? (like no mozilla browser allowed!!!!)

I imagine that a confuration file contains all these restrictions.
    Maybe I just delete it.

I hope someone can help

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

if this is a corporate or school network, the don't even attempt it as it's likely to be set in group policy and unless you have admin access account you will not be able to adjust any blocks.

Admins put blocks in place on purpose to keep the network stable as possible with known appliciations that have been checked and patched, much easier to troubleshoot. I know the gov dept I work for had in place disaplinary or dismissal as the punishment for trying to get around admin blocks. If everyone was allowed to download and install what they wanted the newtork would be a mess and at worst malware infected as not everyone is a safe surfer and downloaded!

If you do try and circumvent the blocks the logs can show any attempts at trying to remove these.

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Halo i was just about to put similar quotes too but thought it may be rude to say that, restrictions are put there for a reason by the admin due to problems in the past or even, to, i:e protect others who may be using.

4. torrente2008

torrente2008 Private E-2

coming back to technical.
    how to circumvent these restrictions?

I am quite sure that the local application loads a local file (maybe encripted) that contains the full list of prohibited applications).

I just want to remove mozilla.

Maybe it is easier to remove completely sophos.

any help?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Going to the technical, if your network is managed by an IT dept then place a call to them to remove an application block as if you have a good case for using said software they maybe receptive as at Majorgeeks we are less likely to assist you in circumventing administration blocks as many here are system admins.

As for Sophos, the same will likely apply, you will have no admin rights to install or uninstall applications that the admin deem good or bad.

6. DjGeNeSiS

DjGeNeSiS Private E-2

Come on guys..
    Let's not try to reinvent the ethical values of the corporate it structures...

Here's how you disable it.
    1) right click on the sophos icon on your taskbar and click "Open sophos end point security control"
    2) Click on configure and selece "application control"
    3) Untick the "On access scan" like the screenshots below.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
  7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

DjGeNeSiS,

"Let's" get one thing straight... this is NOT a black hat forum. We are strictly white hat, and helping people commit wrong and possibly illegal acts just because it makes you feel smart won't be tolerated here.

Your post has been reported (oh and you didn't think I noticed you just joined the forum?).

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am not really sure I understand the problem. This is just info about disabling application restrictions along the line of disabling protection software for various reasons. Could someone make it clearer to me as to what the issue is? It seems straight forward to me. :confused

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, as the thread is old anyway (thank me for not noticing that), but basically a network user was trying to figure out a way to circumvent administrator restrictions on the network he/she was on.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, it is an old thread and the original OP would be wrong in asking how to circumvent access restrictions, but in the line of someone wanting to disable the protection software in order to run virus scans with out interference from Sophos, it doesn't seem to be mischievous. This seems like DjGeNeSiS is not attempting to post info that is not readily available on the web. We have numerous threads concerning disabling software for various reasons, so I am thinking this is an innocent post. But let me just state that future posts that do verge on the "black hat" type of post will be scrutinized. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds