how to download youtube videos

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomg, Mar 7, 2010.

1. tomg

tomg Private First Class

does youtube.com block the ability to download/save videos from their website?

i thought that firefox had an add on that enabled this feature?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

3. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

DownLoadHelper is an add on for Firefox that helps you download videos from many dozens of websites.

It's an essential tool if you want to download local copies for personal use permitted by "Fair Use" copyright doctrine, protected by your USA Constitutional Rights... :=)

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Will this, or something else, work with IE?:wave

5. augiedoggie

There's Google Toolbar which has it but there might be a standalone available too as I don't like toolbars.

6. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

I use the Download This Video link from RealPlayer. It works really well and downloads any video, movie or music that isn't blocked by the licensee or website. YouTube doesn't block its videos from being downloaded --- in fact, if you see a video on YouTube that you love and want to download, you'd better do it quickly cause frequently some of their videos are later removed, and then it's too late. That's happened to me more than once, so I've learned my lesson now!

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

8. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

You might want to take a closer look at the YouTube Terms of Service before proceeding...

Section 4C: "You agree not to access User Submissions (defined below) or YouTube Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate."

Section 5B: "You may access User Submissions for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the YouTube Website. You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a 'download' or similar link displayed by YouTube on the YouTube Website for that User Submission."

"Terms of Service," YouTube, 08 Mar. 2010 <http://www.youtube.com/t/terms>.

9. samtal

samtal Corporal

10. augiedoggie

Ya, as if that's going to happen!:-D This is nothing more than a disclaimer. Those who want to remain squeaky clean can do so.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds