Mouse flickers between arrow and arrow w/CD

Discussion in 'Software' started by usasma, Dec 26, 2003.

1. usasma

usasma Private E-2

On my wife's newly built computer (specs below) the mouse cursor flickers once a second between the arrow cursor and the arrow with CD cursor (like when autoplay is invoked). I've tried disabling autoplay and the indexing service without result. The MS USB Optical Mouse is the corded version and I haven't installed the Intellipoint software that came with it.

Any ideas on how to stop this? Thanks, in advance, for your help!

XPPro w/SP1a +
    ASUS P4P800
    P4 @2.6/800
    80 gig WD w/8mb buffer
    CD writer
    DVD player
    MS Keyboard on PS2 port
    USB devices:
    MS Optical Mouse
    Canon Scanner
    Lexmark Printer
    Logitech QuickCam

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Have you tried going into Control Panel's Mouse section and the Pointers tab of that, to see whether the arrow-with-CD cursor is selected for something? Some software may have designated that as a pointer and set up a conflict. Replacing the CD one with the standard one shd cure the problem, if that turns out to be the case.

3. Wisewiz

One more thing: You can install the Intellipoint software and then remove almost all of it without any loss of control or options. The entire healthy-mousing folder can be dumped, and in Program Files, Microsoft Hardware, Mouse (defaults), I've only got 19 files now, and no folders, and the whole thing works just fine.

4. usasma

usasma Private E-2

Hi WiseWiz!

Thanks for the advice! I'll install the software tomorrow. The actual problem is fixed tho'. My wife said that it started when she was surfing the internet - so I ran AdAware and found an Alexa related problem that comes w/IE installations and a Windows problem that comes with Media Player. We deleted them (along with some cookies) and it stopped. Also ran SpyBot S&D along with SpywareBlaster

Thanks again!

5. Wisewiz

It is almost INCREDIBLE how many of the problems that show up on these forums are caused by spyware. It's a real epidemic.

Glad you got it fixed. If you keep Spyware Blaster updated and run it every time there's an update (but you only need to run the immunizer again when there IS an update!) after checking ALL in the list with the Select All button, that'll prevent Alexa (and lots of other annoyances) from getting back in there. Good luck to ya in '04.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds