Bandwidth Wuh hOe!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by goldfish, Mar 23, 2005.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I'm running at FULL SPEED. You hear that? 512kbps exactly (including overheads). I can only assume BT decided to do somthing interesting to my exchange today in perparation for MaxDSL, hopefully that means I'm going to have a nice solid 2MBit maybe even 4MBit connection when it comes and PlusNet get together to put the control in the members center.

Sorry, just thought I'd boast a bit! :D :D :D

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

[​IMG] You're such a snot fishypooh[​IMG]

I'm really happy for ya...let us know what kind of speeds you end up getting!:)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Neat Goldy :)

Looks as if their maybe a little bit of a speed war about to happen in the UK soon, hopefully most big ISPs will be tripping over themselves to give is 2MB+ BB and with ADSL2+ on the horison things are looking up for once ( about time the UK came out of the internet dark ages, especially as it was a brit that's is the father of WWW )

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Mine's still upgrading, supposed to be 2mb by the end of March, max. speed is only 1.5mb at the moment!

5. wrequed

wrequed Corporal

telecom where I work just started offering 3mg dsl..
    I jumped on it as soon as I could.... :cool:

6. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

he's dying to get slapped, ain't he?

7. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

I have startup at 3mb but they can go up to 5mb (DSL) but cost you a arm,
    a leg, a eye and one finger :eek: ;)

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ehehehe :D

I'm getting speeds like 64kb/s right now ... :D :D :D

Right now lots of companies are suddnely jumping on the 2MBit deal, since it costs them no more than 512k did, and they need no equipment upgrade. So I think its going to be more of a price war than speed war..

I mean, my ISP will let me regrade any time I like for free, since bt wholesale isn't charging for regrades any more.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

want me to drive down to where Goldy is for you? :) ;)

Yeah Goldy I think they have to to keep ahold of the users they already have, otherwise risk defection to another ISP.... as I said this can only be good for us as consumers ( thats if your local exchange is enabled and you not be too far awaaaaaaaaay from it )

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yes indeed, it will be good :D

11. Learning As I Go

Learning As I Go Sergeant

I just upgraded to a cable connection.

I ended up getting a package deal which included an additional digital movie tier, cable modem lease, and cable access.

I get atleast 3Mb and up to 4.5Mb for an extra $20 a month.

This is a good thing, right? :)

LAIGo

12. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

there was a rumor around here that time warner will be upgrading connections to 5 Mb.
    currrently it's at 3. I believe there was a press release on the website. You buggers in NY are supposed to be getting it first, which sucks, since road runner was tested in my market.

13. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

My roadrunner runs at 5mbit/sec down 512kbit/sec up, but I pay $39/month :(

14. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

yeha i got road runner, but we got it for free from my mom's company, its great :p

15. Njal

Njal Private E-2

I have optimum online, and on a good day I can break 10mbit/s. All this for $29.95 a month too.

Attached Files:

16. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

woah! what is the website for optimum? I wanna check this out. thats an amazing deal.

17. Evc31680

Evc31680 Lou Ten-Ten

18. pedroz

pedroz Private E-2

damn thats fast.. wud u do uncap the modem

19. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

DSL its impossible to "uncap" the modem, cause the speed is determined by the telco (in my case BT). Probably the same for Cable.

20. Njal

Njal Private E-2

Actually most cable companies do cap the connection speed at the modem. You can change the settings on many of them through tricky procedures but its likely to land you in trouble with not only the ISP but several government agencies.

Optimum online has all its personal cable connections set without limits and depending on network load its possible to see more than 10mbits. I regularly get at least 7 mbits and during low demand periods I've had downloads of 1.5MB/sec sustained.

21. Evc31680

Evc31680 Lou Ten-Ten

Gotta love Optimum Online[​IMG]

22. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ooh, learn somthing new every day :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds