Monitor Losing Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vashal, Nov 18, 2006.

1. vashal

vashal Private E-2

I've been having trouble lately while playing games on my computer. Everything works fine during normal operation (web browsing, homework, etc.). However, after playing some games for a short while the monitor goes black, and the power light flashes on and off as it does when there is no signal. Any sound/music stops as well. The computer itself is still on and running. I don't have the greatest system in the world, it's a few years old and I haven't kept it updated as well as I'd like, but it does at least meet the games' minimum requirements. Any ideas?

Some System Specs:
    -Windows XP Pro
    -AMD Athlon XP 2500+ ~2GHz
    -ATI All-In-Wonder 9800
    -1 Gig PC 3200 RAM

2. Adola

Adola Private E-2

That is very easy my friend.
    I have windows Me, so I think it would be the same solution but you need to search in Win XP for what I am going to say.

Open Control Panel choose Power options(that is its name in windows 9x) hopefully it is the same in XP

Choose the power scheme which calls: Always on
    Or look down some you should find something says: Turn monitor off
    Choose never, it is that easy :eek:

Good luck, and comeback tell us what happned

3. vashal

vashal Private E-2

Thank you for your comment, but I'm afraid it didn't work.

I guess I should also note that the timing varies depending on what I'm playing. For example, I had Oblivion installed a few months back. It ran fine, but after playing it for about an hour and a half this problem happened for the first time. I thought maybe the game just crashed on me, so I rebooted and tried again...same thing would happen everytime, although it would happen anywhere between half an hour to three or four hours into playing. It was rather inconvenient, but I suppose I could still play (thankfully).

Today I got Neverwinter Nights 2...can't even make it far enough to play. It's the same problem, but it occurs before I can even get past the main menu. The odd thing is that lots of other games (NWN1, Day of Defeat, UT2k3, etc. etc.) work just fine.

I've been looking around at other forums and have found posts from others having the same problem, but sadly none of the posts I've run across end with the user saying whether or not a certain solution worked. It's been suggested that the video card could be overheating or that the PSU is going bad...things that I don't really have the means to test.

I'll continue looking...if anyone has further suggestions, please let me know. I'd be glad to hear them :)

4. Adola

Adola Private E-2

You say that in browsing and doing homework is just fine!
    Okay I suggest that you leave your computer on for about 8 hours continues without doing any games and heavy stuff like that.
    If your computer survived the 8 hours.
    Then this means that there could be a real serious problem with your Video card
    No question about that :)
    If not then you have to check your memory card it could be defected!
    If not then it would be a motherboard problem

Make the 8 hours and come tell us what is the result
    Good luck

5. vashal

vashal Private E-2

The system had been on for a couple of days prior to posting...I think I might spend a bit too much time online ;).

Anyways, I reinstalled my video drivers just in case...rebooted after the install, and that was the end of it. No more video, even got the beep code telling me there's a problem with the card. It's really funny to me that it's been having this same issue for months now and didn't die until the day I decided to seriously look into getting it fixed.

Thankfully I had an old spare on hand to replace it with...looks like I'm in the market for a new card now.

Thanks to those who replied...I'm glad I found this site. It seems to be a good place to get some quick, friendly help.

6. Adola

Adola Private E-2

Thanks for your feedback

7. Adola

Adola Private E-2

But wait a minute
    Getting the peep dose not always means that the Card is damaged.
    It mostly means that the position of the card in its slot is not perfect!
    Another thing too before you buy anything, there are also peeps comes when there is the same problem in the Memory Chip.
    Open the case and try carefully to press and push both the memory card and the graphic card in their slots then try to boot your computer again
    Remmeber to touch the power sypply first before you touch any card, second thing do not ever touch any circuit on the cards try to press from the edge
    Make sure to follow these steps before you go and spend money
    At least to learn something good luck

8. vashal

vashal Private E-2

I had tried reseating the video card and memory a couple of times. I also tried unplugging the power connectors on anything non-vital for in case the PSU was going out and not putting out enough power for all my system's components. Nothing managed to fix it until I actually replaced the video card. I would like to try putting the card in another computer to see if it'll work before I buy a new one, though. I'm all out of other ideas, but better safe than sorry...

9. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

Video cards break lol.9800 pro is fairly old

10. vashal

vashal Private E-2

Yeah, I've had it for about two years. I guess it's time for an upgrade any way...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds