mp3 files won't play, no sound from video

Discussion in 'Software' started by KariOhki, Oct 25, 2007.

1. KariOhki

KariOhki Private E-2

This was all working last night, too. I transferred about 80 mp3s to my thumb drive, and ejected it. Since then, none of my music files will play. In Windows Media Player I get an error that says "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct." Winamp refuses to play the file. When I just closed Winamp, Firefox crashed. I loaded a .avi fil into Media Player Classic, and the video played, but there was no sound. My volume is up on both the monitor and the computer. I had also tried to load a video from http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html, but changed my mind and closed out of that. That's all the media related stuff I did today.

Also, something that's odd. My Network Connect icon on my taskbar shows a red X and says I'm not connected to a network. But I'm clearly on the internet, and everything is loading fine.

And those mp3 on the thumb drive? They work fine on my Mac Book Pro.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Which version of Windows are you running?

I think the first thing I'd do is a system restore.

3. KariOhki

KariOhki Private E-2

Sorry, was in a rush to get to class and forgot to mention that. I'm running Windows Vista. I'll do the system restore once I get home (I'm in class now on my trusty Mac)

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Mac ftw ;)

5. KariOhki

KariOhki Private E-2

I did a System Restore, and everything's working fine - music plays and my network connection is showing. Thanks for the help, I totally forgot that system restore existed.

EDIT: Well, I think I actually found the real problem. When I did system restore, it reset my AIM version from the new 6.5 to 6. I uninstalled that since it wasn't opening, and reinstalled 6.5. My music won't work again. Any idea why it's doing this?

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

There must be a configuration setting gone wrong between AIM and your sound settings.

I don't use AIM so don't know, but do you have the latest version installed?

May find you have to temporarily go back to version 6.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did a quick browse, and it appears that aim 6.5 does indeed break sound in vista. For now, just use the other version.

What version of vista you using, 32 or 64 bit?

8. KariOhki

KariOhki Private E-2

Yeah, I was able to reinstall AIM 6.1 or .2 or something. It yells at me to upgrade, but I ignore the silly thing.

I'm using the 32-bit version of Vista.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds