eMachine recovery disks - # 2,3,4

Discussion in 'Software' started by gabby3457, Dec 11, 2008.

1. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

hi all

restoring a client's emachine computer -- has viruses and spyware, but using all the usual programs won't get them all.

Removed all the client's files (of course!), and set up the first of 4 recovery disks and it went through the process and set up Win XP home just fine.

BUT ... there was no prompt to install all the rest of the disks, which I know has more software, etc. on them!

The machine is about 2 years old and the disks were made by the owner when he first got the computer, so are labeled 'recovery 1' ..2 , ..3, ..4

I put the # 2 disk in and get nothing and no start point that I can see!

#%$@$#^#%@# :(

Just point me in the right direction for getting the next disk going!

Thanks!

2. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Clarify something for me U have 1 set of recovery discs?

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

And if you Explore disk #2 what files do you see?

4. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

answer to both -

Yes, just one set of recovery disks labeled recovery 1,2,3,4

Disk folder shows 2 folders: PRELOAD & i386

i386 has folders: Apps, DRV (drivers) & spr Apps has mostly MS programs

PRELOAD HAS: files - including 7 windows.xxx files including.mdf, i32,w32,crc --

5. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

be back in a few hours - have to go to a memorial service :(

mother of a friend

later!

6. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

Hello???? rolleyes

Anyone out there??:-D

I suppose I could just start the process over again ... the prompt may have gone by without me seeing it!

I'll post here if I'm successful.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

On the newly installed XP look under the Start>All Programs menu. Is there a program or folder for System Recovery?

8. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

9. gabby3457

gabby3457 Private E-2

Like I said, I'd follow up.

I went back to the start and re-did the first recovery cd ... and, low and behold! ... this time it actually asked for the other cd's in the process of recovery!

Yea! :hyper

:dancer

I think that the issue is that the blank cd's use were cheap ones and that the data had a "hiccup" the first time around! We should inform our clients that the recovery cd's / dvd's need to be of the highest quality for burning the info ... because the recovery of your computer depends on it!

Anyway, thanks for the help ... hope this thread helps someone else!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds