Memory usage question

Discussion in 'Software' started by opuspenquin, Dec 24, 2008.

1. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

Looking through my performance options under system properties, what would be the best overall to have, programs or system cache for memory usage? I'm just looking for ways to speed up some of my programs. It's been a bit laggy and sluggish. I've done everything else (disk defrag, CCleaner, and removing any unnecessary programs running in system tray).
    A big pet peeve of mine is when I right click and the menu takes forever to pop up. Any way to speed that up?
    Thanks for the help! :wave

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Right clicking on something and then having the menu pop up should NOT have any noticeable lag at all. I've run XP Pro on 600mhz Pentium 3 computers with 256mb of memory and not had any real lag with the right click menu.... maybe a small lag, but never over 1 second, maybe a second-and-a-half, but that's a BIG lag for the right click menu. There's a good chance that something else is going on. Check your start-up list and remove anything that isn't absolutely necessary for normal system operation. Honestly, you can probably temporarily turn off everything in the start up list, reboot, and see if that helps. It would also be helpful if you could post your system specs (CPU, RAM, hard drive, Windows version and service pack, etc).

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I wouldnt change that setting at all leave it on Programs, which IIRC is default.

As dlb suggests and would be my thinking at this point if your PC specs are good and if you have not had this issue before with this PC then something else is causing it, can be from having multiple antivirus or live scanning security applications running, to the context menu handlers having some erronious entries, can use ShellEXView to disable all non-microsoft ones then enable one at a time until you find the one causing it.

Also quick test is boot into safe mode (F8) and is it the same?

4. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

So sorry for not showing my specs.
    Dell Optiplex GX150 1000 MHz
    512 SDRAM
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    No graphics card...:(
    18 Gig HD with about 7 gigs free.

I know, it's old and slow but it works.

5. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

These are the programs I have in my system tray...

PC Tools Firewall Plus
    Open Office Quickstarter
    Rising Antivirus
    Minimem
    Volume control

Windows Task Manager shows that I have 40 processes. Might be the reason for lag.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Just for kicks, disable/turn off Rising and PCTools FW and the OpenOffice Quickstart (Rising isn't really a great choice for virus protection; there are better free options; the OpenOffice starter can be permanently disabled IMO as on older systems with limted resources, it shouldn't be running and using up what little is available). Once they're turned off and their processes aren't running, see if the lag problem gets better. You should also take a look at this article about possible causes for right-click menu problems....

7. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

I downloaded ShellExView and picked the first non Microsoft file.
    The Extension Name was "Graphics ShellExt Class"
    Description: igfxpph Module
    Product name was: Intel Common User Interface

I disabled that and tested my right clicking. I came right up with no delay!

Thanks,
    Merry Christmas!

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

That file is linked with your Intel onboard graphics control panel, but great that disabling fixes this, maybe at some poitn you could try updateing your Onboard Intel Graphics from your PC makers site, may fix this, but disabling right click context works ok too.

40 Processes is not too bad, maybe a few could be shaved down but TBH your ok with that amount.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds