Xp reinstall using recovery disks-Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christopherjellybean, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I have a Hp laptop that I will get the recovery cd soon but what I'd like to know is will I have to have the XP key when I go to reinstall windows? The sticker on the bottom has been torn half off and I can only read 11 letter/numbers left on the sticker.Will I have to call MS and buy a new key? I think the HD is failing (makes funny noises) so I want to get a new one and do a clean install.I'd rather not lose some of my programs/files and I've read about cloning a hard drive but not for a laptop with no external HD and even then I'm not sure how??!! I also seen some articles about copying some files or something to save the activation stuff in windows but have no idea about what there talking about. So even if I get the reinstall disks from HP they would do me no good without the COA sticker. Lots of question in her ...sorry but I don't want to have a dead laptop that I can't afford to fix!$$

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i think the new disks come with the key already (i forget), i've ordered a couple of sets from hp/compaq. if your comp boots up, you can use (links below to copy your old key).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html <-- i've used

http://majorgeeks.com/ProduKey_d4953.html <-- have not used

as for cloning your h/d good luck (you'll probably have to buy the software @ $50-80 or so. you might want to see about borrowing an external h/d, or if you have access to another comp, use a thumbdrive to slowly get any files (pics, programs, music, etc), off of your laptop before it either dies, or won't bootup. g/l, sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds