I am just totally stumped...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadameButterfly, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MadameButterfly

MadameButterfly Private E-2

I had a nice little fully functional home network going until I changed ISP. Now my two computers are able to share the Internet connection, but they can't see each other over the network. File and printer sharing works no more and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

The setup is fairly straightforward. Signal goes from wall to cable modem. From modem to router (Asus WL-530G Pocket Router), and from there to my desktop. The laptop (Asus A8Js) connects to the router wirelessly.

I've tried to ping the laptop from the desktop and vice versa and that checks out fine, so on some level they seem to be communicating. However, I can no longer access files in shared documents folder and the laptop can't access the printer (which is connected to the desktop).

I changed from DSL to cable and the only change I made in my settings was to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (previously set to default). I only made this change to my desktop computer and it enabled the Internet to work properly on both computers.

I'm completely lost here, and I realize this is not much to go by. Even just some smart questions would be very welcome to nudge me in the right direction!

Thanks!

2. MadameButterfly

MadameButterfly Private E-2

OK, I'm officially a peabrain. Please disregard this thread. I did everything except the obvious which was to run through the network setup wizard using the CORRECT workgroup name... :foolish

Hey, at least it helped writing it down. Too bad I had to post it as well for all the world to see my foolishness...!

Cheers! :wave

3. Tater

Tater Tot

Hey, posting it here might help someone else with a similar problem. Glad you got it working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds