Need help finding audio drivers (codec?)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shang, May 2, 2004.

1. Shang

Shang Private E-2

I used AIDA32 to give the following info in order to help: Motherboard Chipset - Intel Brookdale-G i845G
    AC'97 Audio Controller
    Audio Controller Type: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4
    Codec Name: Avance Logic ALC200(P)/ALC201(A)
    Codec ID: 414C4710h

Thanks in advance, I've been trying to find em using Intel.com and google but I'm having trouble finding them.

2. Shang

Shang Private E-2

http://www.silverstar.com.hk/driver/driver_in.htm

I think I found the right drivers here (I'm going to install them now and see what happens), they are the ones I used last time, thanks to General_Lee_Stoned on this post - http://majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31038

He gave me http://www.aska-hk.com/driver/driver_in.htm that site last time, that site was down so I researched a little and found that aska-hk was Silver Star Technologies, so I googled that and found that Silver Star had a new website and from there I found the archive.

So thanks General_Lee_Stoned, once again.
    Ed

3. Shang

Shang Private E-2

OK I got ahead of myself, the drivers didn't work, and so I kept looking, I found that Avance (the company that makes the drivers or the ac'97 codecs) has went out of business and is now owned by Realtek, so I downloaded the drivers from Realtek's site and still no sound.

I am going to go buy a sound card if that will fix the problem.

Any suggestions? I need to know if a sound card would even fix the problem.

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

5. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

Shang........What is your machine? Are you running a pre built, or custom built? My HP uses the AC97 Avance and Legacy. I'm running XP Home.

6. Shang

Shang Private E-2

Tried that Nick.

Brian, its a HP Pavilion 763n.

Ok heres the update, I just bought and installed a sound card (it was onboard before of course)

It was just some little 50 dollar card from best buy just to get my sound going again.

To be more specific its a Creative - Blaster Live! 5.1 Card
    Now that I put it in when I hooked up the power cord the power light went on so I hit the button to boot and the power light went out. That was happening recently on and off.

I think I might need a new power supply?

I have to go take a shower and go to bed now but tomorrow I'll take the card out and see if that is the reason the system won't start.

7. Brian C

Ok Shang. I got an HP 563W. What's your situation. Do you have restore disks, or a restore partition on your machine? You could retrieve the drivers from one of them. Also......Are you running XP ? If so, you can "rollback" the drivers to the originals.
    And don't forget, if you install a PCI sound card, you have to disable the onboard sound most of the time.

8. Shang

Shang Private E-2

Well I installed the PCI sound card and the drivers that came with it, but I'm not getting any sound. How do I disable all the onboard audio devices that need to be off?

Edit: I'm getting a ton of static and I can hear the song playing very quietly in the background.

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You will need to enter the Bios and look for AC97 sound ( or similar but it will say AC97 ) and set to disable.... off hand I think its press F1 at boot.. press it a few times just to make sure... then once you have changed the setting their will be an F key to press to save & exit the bios.

10. Shang

Shang Private E-2

Halo I went into bios and the only option in advanced > onboard audio > was enable / disable / auto

I had put it on disable when I installed the new card, it didn't help, so I put it on auto, then when i booted up the new card still was scratchy as hell so i took it out and then booted again and now my onboard audio works... hmm guess i'll just use that and try to return the sound card.

I always thought I was using the onboard sound when i first got the comp but it turns out there was a little sound card that had a coord going to the mobo.

Ah well, alls well that ends well I suppose :)

11. Brian C

Ok Shang, you got the same setup as me. Check out the pic. You have the seperate card, but it's not in a PCI slot. It's in a spot all it's own like mine. You can see the "onboard" jacks to the left, with all the other sockets. The one to the right just below the case fan, is an amplified speaker outlet, and it's the one you should use. Even if you DO have amplified speakers,you can still use it. I have my amplified card output, fed to the line in's on a 300 watt
    stereo amp. Works sweet. My bios sound setting is set to "auto". I don't know how yours would have got changed by itself before ????

Attached Files:

12. Shang

Shang Private E-2

Yea, I have that sound card that isn't a PCI card also, it gives no sound so I am using the onboard one that is next to the mic... if it worked I would use it, its not worth trying to fix tho since I have it working with onboard... with the PCI sound card I have 3 sound [out] slots lol... I took the PCI out and I think I diconnected the non PCI sound card

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds