Dell Dimension 8200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikemund, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mikemund

mikemund Private E-2

MY father just gave me his old Dell Dimension 8200 that had a worm on the hard drive. Have the following problems:

1. XP Pro reinstall still leaves several old files on PC that I cannot get rid of, e.g. the drivers for Dad's printer

2. Cannot format the hard drive - get message saying cannot reformat drive because its in use by another process. Have tried killdisk which I downloaded onto a bootable floppy using my other pc

3. Programs downloaded from internet will not work.

4. Cannot open door to either DVD-ROM or CD-RW drive. Can open with paper clip, but if you put in a disk and push it closed, nothing happens. Do get lights on the drive. I have an external DVD-RW drive I can use to install things. Until problems are fixed, NOTHING is going from this PC to others.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Number 1 sounds like you attempted a "Repair" install, not a complete format install.

Number 2, you cannot install directly from Windows, you have to do it from the CD-rom with a boot to the CD.

Number 3, are you getting connectivity from the Modem or Router (lights on NIC are lit up)?

Number 4, sounds like the drive is dead, so you will have to replace.

3. mikemund

mikemund Private E-2

Thanks Brownizs,

Sounds Like I'll have to take care of issue #4 before #1 or #2, because you can't boot from an external USB CD, right? As to issue #3, I am getting on the internet and can download things, but they dont work once you get them there

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You can boot from a USB CD, but the bios has to allow for it. As for installing, it may just take reregistering the programs that are causing other programs to not run.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds