How do i disable Norton Firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by WhAtIsMoUsE, Mar 19, 2006.

1. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

not quite sure where this thread should go, sorry if its in the wrong place.

the problem: Norton firewall seems to be effecting my utorrent downloads. running a bandwidth test i get about 2400kbits/sec and as soon as i start downloading one torrent its drops to about 150 kbits/sec. not to mention the download is almost always below 10kB/sec. And at the bottom of utorrent is a yellow light that says network configurations may have a problem.

i mostly just want to know how to get to the norton firewall settings to see if its blocking utorrent or something. this would not make sense though since i CAN download, it just slows down my internet connection tremendously. any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  3. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

im not too worried about the low download speeds but rather that it slows the whole computer down 20 fold. i cant even run downloads and search the internet at the same time.

4. DavidGP

Which OS and SP version? ( reason I ask this is in XP SP2 there is a limit on maximum simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts and using p2p this will hit that limit quickly )

Did it change when you disabled the Firewall?

5. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

6. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

xp pro not sp2...err how do i check to make absolute sure?

7. DavidGP

Which version Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security?

Support pages below will with a bit of searching give you the exact instructions http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

Edit: to check your version of XP right click My Computer > Properties and on the General tab it will tell you Service Pack Version

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Right Click "My Computer" and Click "Properties".

9. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

ahh..it is SP2.

i still could not find the page on norton. maybe i am disabling the firewall when i press "disable auto-protect" or is that just for the antivirus part of norton?

10. DavidGP

Which version Norton do you have?

11. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

12. DavidGP

1 On the desktop, double-click the Norton Internet Security icon or the Norton Personal Firewall icon ( or the system tray icon )

2 Click Status & Settings

3 Click Security

4 Click Turn Off

13. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

theres no status and settings and no security

14. DavidGP

Sadly I have NO IDEA what software you have as those locations are where the settings to turn the firewalls protection off in Norton firewall 2005.

manual for norton 2005 personal firewall

15. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

yea its strange. but do you know if disabling Auto protect turns off the firewall as well? because that is quite easy to do although it seems to have no affect on utorrent the connection icon remains yellow.

16. WhAtIsMoUsE

WhAtIsMoUsE Private E-2

i wish i could but im not in charge of this computer. its the people running programs like norton, outlook & itunes that are. 2 more years til i get my own computer. 2 more years...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds