Address Bar not working on Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by mfletcher35, Apr 16, 2006.

1. mfletcher35

mfletcher35 Private E-2

I have Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Internet Explorer. Saturday night everything was working great. I was surfing the internet with no problems. I woke up Sunday morning and my computer told me Microsoft Windows updates were available, so I downloaded them and updated. Now, I can't get to a site by entering a website into the address bar. I enter the website, hit enter, wait and wait, and nothing. The only way I can get to a website is to click on favorites or enter an address into a search engine.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem? Any idea what it is or how to correct it?

Thanks, Mark.

2. mfletcher35

mfletcher35 Private E-2

I tried using System Restore but that is not working. I tried three times, using three different dates, but System Restore fails every thime.

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

The April 11th release of the critial updates made a few changes to IE that may cause some users to have problems. Microsoft is aware of the problems and will be preparing a hot fix to be released later. Here is the link to the TechWeb article and some suggestions and workarounds should you experience any problems.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185300271

Might Help for now

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Has anyone else ever seen this problem? Any idea what it is or how to correct it? << Thanks, Mark.

Try this:
    (1) First delete your temporary internet files and cookies, via Tools > Internet Options > General tab. Also on the General tab hit the clear history button.

(2) Then also in Internet Options; but this time using the Advanced tab - scroll down the list [under the heading entitled: Browsing] and make sure "Use inline AutoComplete" is unchecked.

(3) Click Apply, close down your browser and then restart it to see if this works for you.

Good Luck!

5. mfletcher35

mfletcher35 Private E-2

Thanks Toni and Compuable. I did read the article and it very well may have something to do with the latest critical update. Compuable, I tried your advice, but it did not work.

I was able to go into Control Panel --> Add/Delete Programs and delete the latest critical updates under Windowx XP Updates. There were four of them with the April 16 date. (When I tried this earlier I didn't have "Show Updates" checked at the top of the Add/Delete window.)

Everything seems to be working okay. I'll wait for Microsoft's next critical update before trying this again.

Mark

6. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I have had the same problem since the new critical updates. The only solution I have found to work is to use System Restore. I have searched elsewhere and have not found any other fixes for this problem.

7. KChaconas

KChaconas Private E-2

I found the answer to this and other problems that are being caused by the latest Windows Update....go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

I did it and the instructions worked just fine. Look for multiple instances of the exe file in Processes though and delete all of them.
    Kathy

8. mfletcher35

mfletcher35 Private E-2

Thanks, Kathy.

I went to that support link, followed the instructions, then reinstalled the windows updates. Everything seems to be working fine.

Mark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds