Brakes-scraping noise after pad change

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scajjr, May 2, 2010.

1. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Replaced the disc brake pads on my '05 Elantra GT. The passenger side front now makes a scraping noise under hard braking. Pulled it apart again, couldn't find anything wrong. Still does it.

A couple things: the pads I got (NAPA Tru-Stop organic) seem a tad wider (from inner to outer as they sit on the rotor) and SEEM like it's taking off some rusty scaling that had built up on that inner edge of the rotor. Also we are the 2nd owner (got the car with 45,000 miles on it), now has 78,000 on it and am not sure what the thickness of the rotors should be (don't know if they had been replaced before we got it, we drive mostly highway miles with it). Should I replace the rotors if the scraping doesn't go away in a day or two of normal driving?
    There was no scraping noise before I replaced pads, had been some squealing so that's why I replaced them.

Sam

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good question. How badly were the rotors scored? May need to have the rotors turned.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Another possibility could be the brake wear indicator is bent inward and scraping the rotor, or possibly, it could be too long, which would give the same results. Also, since it only occurs on one side, it could be a warped rotor. Best way to tell is to take the rotors, like Tim said, and have them turned and if it is warped it'll show. Good Luck!!:)

4. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Yeah I'm figuring for what it would cost to go have that one turned I can buy 2 new rotors at NAPA ($69). Car passed state inspection today so I'm sure rotor thickness isn't an issue. Will probably just replace them and be done with it.

Thanks for the responses.

Sam

5. BIGGJERRYC

BIGGJERRYC Private E-2

if your rotors passed inspection and its still grinding, chances are its the debris shield. if you take the wheel off, behind the rotor there is a metal plate. it is not uncommon to bend that while working on things and it scrapes against the rotor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds