ATI Catalyst install fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by dsiebenh, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dsiebenh

dsiebenh Private E-2

I have a pretty new ASUS M3a78-EM mobo running XP SP3 and I can't get ATI Catalyst Control Center to install properly. Several errors are generated and the install fails. When the computer boots there is some ridiculous 150 character message about "MOM.Implementation....." and it appears on every boot.

I saw a "hot fix" for the 9.12 Control Center but that just ran thru the install again with failures. I just tried to install the latest version 10 and that does the same thing.

At one point I saw instructions from ATI that involved manually deleting files, which I did. I got a clean boot out of it but the next install failed anyway and recreated the same garbage on startup. It's amazing people can write and distribute software like this; where I work they would be fired.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I have seen several references to this suite being a piece of garbage... that is fine, but if I am going to abandon the Catalyst ship what is the best way to a) uninstall this forever and then b) install and update the ATI 3200 video driver and the Analog and HDMI audio drivers in the future?

Thanks for you assistance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cat Control Center needs .Net to be installed, so install .Net 3.5 if not already then try again, but what I would do after installing .Net is to run the below small guide I posted in another thread on cleaning out GFX drivers.

Latest ATi driver for 3200 onboard IGP graphics HERE

or if fails again, bite th ebullet for now and just install the graphic driver and not the Control Center.

3. dsiebenh

dsiebenh Private E-2

First, thanks Halo!

Second, it's safe to say that after this experience neither I nor anyone I know will ever use an ATI product again. This stuff might as well be malware.

After numerous problems with virtually all phases of the removal and install I went back to a restore point that was reliable. That driver will just have to do.

Thanks anyway.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not a fan of Ati myself these days its not their hardare but the drivers are not as polished as Nvidia's.

but so long as you have your graphics working ok the control panel is not a biggy, normally one of those areas you set once and forget.

5. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I didn't have any trouble installing the latest ati driver for my radeon 4670 1 gig.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds