very wierd issue with this forum

Discussion in 'Software' started by DKSuddeth, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

I have multiple PC's and laptops that I use on a daily basis and access this message board from all of them at some point in time during the day. On Saturday I ran my weekly virus scan on all my systems followed by the latest Ad Aware update and scan.

Heres the problem, I can still access the forum here on all my PC's save my main desktop at home. Whenever I go to majorgeeks.com I get a login popup asking for my username,password, and domain. The URL shifts to www.majorgeeks.com/localstart.asp.

I've deleted all temp internet files, cookies, and downloaded programs and still face the same problem on that system only.

I'm thinking next I will take a look at has to be my hosts file, although I don't see how that could be affected unless there's been a DNS change to the site....

any ideas from my fellow high techers?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

localstart is for IIS on your local machine.. something is redirecting you . I would definately take a look at your hosts file.

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

thats cool, I just wanted to check and make sure I didnt miss anything. thanks for the reply.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Second that, looks like youve set up your hosts file :
    www.majorgeeks.com 127.0.0.1
    So if you remove that you'll be good. Weird... wonder if you can find out how it happened?

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

I'll look at the last modified date and time, check my event logs, maybe come up with something. If I do, I'll let you know.

6. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Private E-2

thats exactly it. somewhere, some downloadable program (probably from some BS site my kids were on) replaced my hosts file. Look at that list, it its an alphabetical list of sites that stop hijacking and ad software.

I just replaced my hosts file and I'm back on at home again.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

make your hosts file readonly.. that will stop it from being jacked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds