My optical mouse freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abbyg, Mar 25, 2005.

1. abbyg

abbyg Private E-2

Hi friends,

I have an HP USB optical mouse that is only about two years old. It recently started freezing every so often and it would make the sound on my computer like a USB device was being plugged in or removed. The plug was fine - I checked it. It seemed like the red light stayed on while it was frozen. Anyway, this was quite annoying, because at times, the mouse would freeze for several seconds and then when it finally unfroze, I would move it about a millimeter and it would freeze again. I plugged in my old HP mouse with the roller ball deal and it works just fine. Is the lifespan of an optical mouse really that short? What could be wrong and can it be fixed? At first I thought it could have been related to a spyware issue I was having, because it worked fine, then I got spyware problems, then I fixed the problems, and right away after that, the mouse was acting funny. I am just guessing now that it's not related, because the other mouse works fine. I tried my fiancé's mouse as well (actually before I tried my other mouse) and that one worked fine too. Your help is appreciated!

Abby

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is the infared optical lens clean and free of crud?

also go into the Device Manager and delete your mouse... reboot and see if its picked up again, could be as simple as the driver acting up.

or finally could be a sick mouse... especially as others have worked.

3. abbyg

abbyg Private E-2

Well, I think so. Is that just the tiny round lens that moves the cursor? I can see some stuff (although not much) inside the bottom of the mouse, but it's under the scrolling wheel, so I doubt it would have an impact on the lens.

I haven't done this yet, but I will let you know the result when I do!

I would cry. No, I'll be ok. Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted (no pun intended) on what happens!

Abby

4. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

hearing your mouse disconnect and reconnect has nothing to do with crud.
    do you have another rid you can try the mouse on?
    I had a similar problem once, turns out that the mouse cable had a short in it.

5. abbyg

abbyg Private E-2

Sorry it took me so long to post again. Actually, I did what Halo told me to do and now it works fine. Thanks for the help, Halo! Oh, MellowMan, just to clarify, I don't think I ever implied that the noise had anything to do with crap being in the lens. Thanks for your suggestions though! I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes, but for now it works just fine. Thank goodness! You people just saved me from spending money I don't have on a new mouse! :D

Abby

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good news :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds