Dell Dimension 1100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thinpinblue, Nov 6, 2009.

1. thinpinblue

thinpinblue Private E-2

Im not computer savvy, but here goes. I have an old (4 years) Desktop which is a Dell Dimension 1100. It has an integrated graphic card which it seems is at the end of its days. I have 3 vacant PCI slots into which I want to install a new graphics card. If this is possible, which one do I put it in, and what is the correct "title" of the card to buy

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I assume this is the same as your PC here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/OM/om_en.pdf

Basically you are correct is has 3 PCI slots. I'm going to be blunt, PCI Video Cards are very old and will perform extremely poorly by today's standards. Because they are so old they are not being "mass produced" anymore and therefore the price per unit is a lot higher than a modern day Video Card (which will be at least 50-100's faster). Often their sale prices will be similar to that of the later "form factors" , e.g. AGP or PCI-e.

Here are some but personally I think it would be a waste of money:

PCI Video Card: are the keywords (not to be confused with PCI-e which you cannot use):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dRelated-_-pci_video_card-_-pci graphics card

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

A Dimension 1100 does not have an 'AGP' slot for graphics. Thus you are indeed stuck with looking for a PCI one.

These are not common nowadays, but you may well find your local independent pc repair shop will sell you an old one for next to nothing.

Make sure you get a driver disk with any you buy.

4. MoPaR

MoPaR Private First Class

A good recommendation for a pci card is a BFG Tech Nvidia fx series card for PCI, i had one of them dell 1100's and an FX5500 Overclocked BFGTech 256mb card and it worked pretty good overall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds