networking with printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickson2, Feb 1, 2006.

1. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Pc1 is main pc, directly connected to the internet all all other pcs connect through this pc.

Pc2 shares the internet connection through pc1 and has no problem connecting to internet

Pc3 (laptop) shares the internet connection through pc1 and also shares the printer connected to pc1

Pc4 shares the internet connection through pc1 and also shares the printer connected to pc1

Problem is, i cannot get Pc2 to find and share the printer connected to pc1, maybe i'm missing the obvious, but can someone please help?

Regards
    Nicky

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Using ICS can cause the problems that you described. To make things easier, might I suggest getting a Router, unless you are using software other then Windows on the 1st PC.

If you browse the network, does any shares show from PC1?

3. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Thanks brownwizs. when i browse the network... under mshome, only the pc1 shows up on pc1. the internet sharing is done by the packardbell net2plug http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/node1632.asp. My question is why would pc3 and pc4 be able to share the printer? even these two pcs dont appear in the network when i browse it.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Sounds like you are using ICS on the first PC. Are you using a Firewall software on any of the PC's?

5. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

only the windows xp firewall

6. elliebee

elliebee Private E-2

Dear Nicky -
    I was able to solve my problem. I had 3 PC's networked with a router. I had used Microsoft Networks Wizard to set up the network. My name was EvansHome. When I had reinstalled the network on my laptop, I put the name in as Evanshome. It let me share files and get online, but it didn't not let me find the printer. Reinstalling the network with EvansHome did. Something so simple as that took all afternoon and evening to fix! (You do need to restart the computer after reinstalling.) I hope you get yours working also - good luck!
    ellie

7. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Thanks ellie, my network is MSHOME and it shows up as this on all four pcs.
    below are two screen shots when trying to add a printer using the wizard. one of pc1 and one of pc2 as you can see pc2 just shows Microsoft Windows Network.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds