batteries

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by slydon, Apr 13, 2007.

1. slydon

slydon Private First Class

I bought a new video game system and the instructions say to use alkaline batteries only and not to use nicad rechargebles. My question is: what is the reason? What will happen if nicad's are used? Next question is: Are there some alkaline batteries that CAN be charged?

Don

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yeh there are some alkali batteries that can be charged but in my experience they arnt that good,the only reason is the device draws alot of power and needs long lasting batteries

The best batteries to use in order of capacity LIPO, NM HI,ALKALI and then NICAD

EDIT If the game console has a built in power adapter and charger you will have to use alkali batteries as it wont charge LIPO,NMHI or NICAD correctly

3. slydon

This is the nintendo wii system so the batteries are used in the wireless controlers and do not go into the machine at all. I just don't understand why the instructions say not to use anything other than alkaline. Okay, maybe the nicads won't last as long but who cares, just recharge. Why would the instructions say do not use nicads?

4. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I've been using 2500 mAh energizer rechargeable batts in my wiimotes with no problem.

5. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Could be this.

[​IMG]WARNING - Battery Leakage
    Leakage of battery acid can cause personal injury as well as damage to your remote. If battery leakage occurs, thoroughly wash the affected skin and clothes. Keep battery acid away from your eyes and mouth. Leaking batteries may make popping sounds.

To avoid battery leakage:
    • Do not mix used and new batteries (replace all batteries at the same time).
    • Do not mix different brands of batteries.
    • Use only alkaline batteries. Do not use lithium ion, nickel cadmium (nicad), or carbon zinc batteries.
    • Do not leave batteries in the remote for long periods of non-use.
    • Do not recharge the batteries.
    • Do not put the batteries in backwards. Make sure that the positive (+) and negative (-) ends are facing in the correct directions. Insert the negative end first. When removing batteries, remove the positive end first.
    • Do not dispose of batteries in a fire.
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiisafety.jsp

6. slydon

Yes this is what Nintendo says and I can undersand if somebody lets their batteries get real old or something like that, I guess I will stick with alkalines but I am not convinced that there will be dire consequences if I use rechargables. Who knows, mabe Nintendo is in tight with alkaline battery manufacturer.??????????

Don

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'v yet to see any rechargable battery leak 'apart from lead acid' and I have hundreds over the years they all self vent any gas before theres a danger in cases of SEVERE overcharging or direct short

Oh well its your piece of mind have fun:D

8. slydon

I agree and isn't leakage the only thing that would be of concern here? I am about at the point to try using them. Overcooked says he has been using them and it is ok. After all, it is not the machine that is in danger if anything DID happen. The only thing that would be damaged is the wireless controler.

Don

9. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I'm sure the leaking batteries are not so much of a concern for adults. My wife has been going through toys that our kids had when they were young. Several items have been tossed because of batteries left in them for years, whereas my portable CD player that I rarely use now, I take batteries out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds