7.1 audio from pc to dvd surround sound?

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris_vincent3, Aug 16, 2008.

1. chris_vincent3

chris_vincent3 Private E-2

Right.. I've recently just brought a PC to go in my room, and it came to just under £1000 so i didnt want to spent even more money on pc speakers thinking i could use the speakers from my dvd player?

the sound card i have is Realtek High Definition and my dvd surround is a Phillips HTS9800W, at the moment i have them connected via stereo phono jack with the red, yellow and white ends, works fine, sound comes out of all 6 speakers but not the subwoofer?

do i need a new cable? or am i not doing things right? bear with me as i am 17 years old and i dont know my stuff : )

if there is any information and specification you need to know, just let me know and ill find out : )

thank you..

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I have done exactly that, although I am running into a 5.1 Samsung home theater.
    I have a cord (not sure where it came from or what it was originally for) that plugs into my normal (stereo) audio out and plugs into the RCA audio in on the surround sound.
    I run the surround sound in Matrix or Pro-Logic modes and get good quality 5.1 sound out of it.

You should be able to get the same cord from Radio Shack or on-line.
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2004&sku=40612

Attached Files:

3. chris_vincent3

Hi, thanks for reply, i have that cable in now, and it works fine for the 6 speakers, but my subwoofer is'nt working? :S

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you are getting sound out of your home theater, but no sub-woofer, check it's settings.
    I can turn my sub-woofer off , through the home theater settings, so maybe that's the problem.

5. chris_vincent3

It works fine with a CD or DVD in, so i dont see why it would turn off because its in Aux

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't think it's a PC problem. The sound is getting to the home theater, so it's got to be something there.

7. chris_vincent3

nope, nothing on the stereos setting/options etc = [

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Don't think I can help any further. The sound is leaving your PC and getting to the home theater.
    The PC is basically out of the loop at that point.
    Now, it is up to the home theater to do it's job.
    The music file data sent to the home theater contains all the info it should need to play properly.
    The theater just decodes the frequencies and sends them to the proper speakers.
    Low frenquencies to the sub-woofer, higher frequencies to the front and rear speakers, with a balanced amount going to the center channel.

9. chris_vincent3

aww ok, thanks anyway = ]

ill have to have a play around with the audio setting on the pc, see if i can find anything on there.

thanks again = ]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds