Outlook 2007 mail stuck in Outbox (IMAP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsm555, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

I recently changed my Rackspace email from POP to IMAP; unfortunately, the webmail interface is very limited and we've had to revert to Outlook 2007 for the features we need. However, we're experiencing a problem with outgoing email: mail periodically gets 'stuck' in the outbox. This isn't like the outbox problems I've seen posted elsewhere, as mail will be sent correctly for a time, and then after a while it will begin to bet stuck. Closing Outlook and re-starting it will cause the email to go out, but I often forget to check the outbox to see if there's any mail stuck there. I've turned off outbound email scanning on Norton 2012, but still having the problem. When I do a manual Send/Receive, I get a message saying that the sending was completed successfully, but the mail's still in the outbox. I never had this problem when we used Outlook 2007 for Rackspace POP mail. Any ideas? Thanks -

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Yes, I've double-checked the IMAP settings - again, sometimes the mail will go out without a problem, but at times, especially after Outlook has been idle for some time it seems, mail will get stuck.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The problem could be with either client or server. You could try Thunderbird as an Outlook alternative. Tbird has been 100% reliable on IMAP here, but can't say the same about Outlook.

5. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

TB just isn't an alternative - we spent about a year trying to make TB work well enough for our business and it was just too buggy for us - we have two businesses that are intensely email-dependent, with very high volumes, and TB just doesn't handle that well.

It might be that no one has a solution, but maybe someone can tell me how to track what's happening to mail that was supposed to have been sent? Are there any logs produced by Outlook that might help? I really do like using IMAP, but I'm getting into trouble with these unsent messages, when I don't notice that there's mail stuck in the outbook -

thanks=

6. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

OK, here's what I've done so far:

1) Run Outlook 2007 in Safe Mode
    2) Run scanpst.exe
    3) Turned off Norton email scanning (in and outbound)
    4) Verified that my IMAP settings are consistent with Rackspace's requirements

I just don't know what to do - I'll think that everything's working right, and then look at the outbox and see 3-4 emails stuck there. I can bring Outlook down and then back up, and the mail will send. And I can do a manual send/receive, and get the message that sending was completed successfully, although mail is stuck in the outbox. Also, the 'test' send/receive in outlook works fine, even when there's mail stuck in the outbox. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks -

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds