Changing File Extensions

Discussion in 'Software' started by =B33F=Reaper, Jan 29, 2004.

1. =B33F=Reaper

=B33F=Reaper Private E-2

I have a file saved as a .dat and need to convert it to a .exe file in Windows XP Pro, not sure how its done on this OS

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hmmm,

Not sure I know what you're asking, but here's the simple answer for what I take to be the question:

If you have a real executable, and you saved it by mistake as a file with a .dat extension, all you have to do is clcik the filename to select it, press F2, and change the extension from .dat to .exe. There will be a warning. Just say Yes. Done.

(But if it's NOT an executable, this sure's heck won't MAKE it one!)

3. =B33F=Reaper

=B33F=Reaper Private E-2

All that does is rename the file I need to change the extension try this open notepad and type 123 on the page and then save it to desktop and name it "test" now if you do as you said all you do is rename the file to "test.exe" or whatever you like, what I need it to do is change the file extension if you do it the way I am thinking the icon will change from looking like the little notepad with writing to the white box with a blue line across the top ie. a .exe file with out a fancy icon, I'm sure this doesn't make sense but bare with me

bah I feel like a tard I didnt have it set up so I could see my file extension lol

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds